1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Be honest, how many of you

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by Whippet, Jun 8, 2019.

1. Tommy V

Tommy V Gold Supporting Member

Feb 19, 2019
    i love the music, but some of that just doesn't translate well to solo bass... she needs one of those 24 string monsters to really show off her chops.

Whippet likes this.
  2. Ikr? I was like.... damn, snare off is basic thoughtfulness

Nephilymbass likes this.
  3. Why? It's a totally different technique. Therefore she's a bass player. What is your definition? Someone who plays traditional bass parts in bass range with lots of bass in their tone? Cuz that definition sounds like many of the synth bass albums I've heard in my life.

Bass is an instrument. Stop defining the instrument by the material you choose to play on it.

Doing that on a bass is more impressive than a guitar. And she's the "bassist" in her bands when not soloing, so again i don't follow you.

Didn't we get past this limitation and narrow opinion of our instrument in the 1970s?

WesW, bassista6 and Whippet like this.
  4. LBS-bass

LBS-bass Supporting Member

Nov 22, 2017
    California
    There are guitarists who play their guitars like that. It's not common, but thinking Michael Hedges and so forth here.

Creativity isn't limited except by the imagination. I have no desire to be a guitarist, so I have no chops for what she's doing. But I think you probably have to learn this somehow, and learning guitar would be where most people would logically start. Doesn't make it right or wrong but I do see someone playing guitar on a bass here. And she's doing it brilliantly.

WesW, Mili, Whippet and 1 other person like this.
  5. Well... she's a bassist. LoL. So ya know, i guess not some 24 string thing that obviously would be an entirely different technique when she's already a world class bassist.

Whippet and Tommy V like this.
  6. Well said :)

WesW likes this.
  7. Tommy V

Tommy V Gold Supporting Member

Feb 19, 2019

OtherLisa, Whippet and dkelley like this.
  8. dbsfgyd1

dbsfgyd1

Jun 11, 2012
    Richmond , Va
    RE: Noise on ISO Tracks

How well I know. I’ve sure had to fix a lot of mine....

dkelley likes this.
  9. You are entitled to your opinion, but making asssumptions on what goes on in other peoples minds is not "an opinion". It's an assumption, and your assumption is wrong. This has nothing to do with her being a woman. It has to do with sloppy technique, sloppy rhythm, sloppy timing etc. If any man did the same, i would say exactly the same thing. Is she talented? Of course. But, in my opinion, she has a long way to go still.

10. AboutSweetSue

AboutSweetSue

Sep 29, 2018
    Lebanon, TN
    These Dey threads threads are basically cage matches between the “likes” and the “not likes” with the “indifferent” for an audience.

I, personally, am on the not like side. I believe her playing is excruciatingly irritating. I suppose I’m too simple to understand it. If only I weren’t such an ignorant individual I’d be able to enjoy the constant barrage, and seemingly endless, line of note after note after note after note after note after soulless but technically proficient/masterful note. Oh how I envy the bass intellectuals.

Whippet likes this.
  11. Whippet

Whippet

Aug 30, 2014
    I just found out that she will be touring with B'z (a successful Japanese rock band) this year as their bassist.

In the past B'z had B. Sheehan, Barry Sparks as their bassist.

dkelley and Reedt2000 like this.
  12. AboutSweetSue

AboutSweetSue

Sep 29, 2018
    Lebanon, TN
    I’m young and I can’t stand her playing. I don’t like a lot of what Victor Wooten plays either. One is female, one is male.....and I dislike both of their styles.

It is inherently sexists to assume people don’t like someone because they are of a different gender. These guys don’t like her because they don’t like her. I’m going to go out on a limb here and say they probably don’t like certain dudes as well.....which doesn’t mean they hate men.

It’s a tiring and irritating argument/defense people use to make themselves feel superior.

13. Same!

14. LoL this thread is why I've never posted clips of myself here :)

I'm too scared of criticism from those who's opinions I respect... other bassists.

I'm happy doing what makes me, and those who work with or listen to me, happy.

But I know I'd get crushed for messy playing, imperfect rhythm or tempo, fret noise or pitch of fretless, or just my choices in what to play.

:)

But at the same time.... i appreciate that even if she isn't to the subjective taste some of you like, most here acknowledge her skill, hard work, talent, and success.

That's music for ya :)

BergerHead, Tommy V and Whippet like this.
  15. LBS-bass

Nov 22, 2017
    California
    Is it ok to say that I appreciate her ability to do things I can't without suggesting that I'd choose to listen to this music on my own? Because that's how I feel about this kind of thing. It's very trickish, which is impressive from a technical point of view, but it's not that interesting for me from a musical standpoint. I feel that way about guitar shredders and tappers too, and I used to be married to one of those guys. He was technically brilliant, but I felt like those sorts of instrumentals were just showoff wankery, and I told him so. Notice I said "used to be."

16. bherman

bherman Supporting Member

Apr 30, 2009
    Grand Junction, CO
    Amen, thank you for posting this. Honestly, I don't care if she (or anyone that I listen to) is young, old, Indian, Martian, white, man, or woman, her music is what it is. I give her tons of credit for being so young with such strong chops, but beyond that its all about emotional reaction to me.

17. LBS-bass

Nov 22, 2017
    California
    I seriously don't like that this conversation has drifted to gender. As I said, I appreciate her skill but don't care for the music. I'm female. So what? That and a dollar won't even get me close to a coffee at Starbucks these days.

barrenelly, retslock, dkelley and 5 others like this.
  18. Alex Bass

Alex Bass Roy Batty Dreams

Apr 3, 2016
    ACTUALLY if a guy, or gal, cashier likes you enough you may get it for free. I've seen it multiple times cute girls get things for free........

Whippet likes this.
  19. LBS-bass

Nov 22, 2017
    California
    I was a cute girl and that never happened to me.

dkelley, Whippet, bassista6 and 2 others like this.
  20. Alex Bass

Alex Bass Roy Batty Dreams

Apr 3, 2016
    Dont say "was", I'd buy you a cup of joe anytime:D:thumbsup:

dkelley, Whippet and LBS-bass like this.