1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Be honest, how many of you

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by Whippet, Jun 8, 2019.

1. LBS-bass

LBS-bass Supporting Member

Nov 22, 2017
    California
    Well that’s different. I don’t mind being treated as long as I’m allowed to reciprocate.

dkelley and Whippet like this.
  2. Biffa

Biffa

Apr 16, 2019
    County Durham, UK
    I'd love to see Steve Vai playing a six string bass

dkelley and Whippet like this.
  3. Alex Bass

Alex Bass Roy Batty Dreams

Apr 3, 2016
    Glad we came to an understanding;)...by the way thats a good looking Jazz bass:drool:

4. LBS-bass

LBS-bass Supporting Member

Nov 22, 2017
    California
    Thanks! It’s my favorite. I don’t think I could ever be persuaded to sell that one.

Alex Bass likes this.
  5. jdthebassman

jdthebassman

Jul 11, 2010
    get over it I am not putting anyone down I am calling it as I hear it no shame here.

6. jerry

jerry Doesn't know BDO Gold Supporting Member

Dec 13, 1999
    Well, move over Tal, Jaco, Gene Simmons etc. we have a new picture for the Talkbass dartboard.;)

7. MordBass

MordBass

Nov 1, 2017
    Midwest
    Fair point. I mean, I cant find anywhere on TB where anybody has ever disliked or been critical of the playing of a known person. :roflmao::roflmao::roflmao::roflmao::roflmao::roflmao::roflmao::roflmao::roflmao::roflmao:

8. I think we can still keep Gene on the flip side. There is always the flavour of the month but Gene has been a consistent achiever for as long as I can remember :D.

9. JohnArnson

JohnArnson

May 28, 2019
    If you truly know the universal language that all music speaks, all music will actually be very easy to understand.

That's not to say that I can actually play like her, I lack both technical and motor skills to do that, but I understand it perfectly well.

Last edited: Jun 9, 2019
    Whippet and LBS-bass like this.
  10. Whippet

Whippet

Aug 30, 2014
    you serious? You'd get fired in Japan when the other worker finds out the moment you do that.

And that moment would be instantly after you hand over that coffee for free.

LBS-bass likes this.
  11. Agreed. She’s a giant in technical terms and I’m impressed but not moved. I lose interest very quickly. There’s nothing in it that I enjoy listening to.

Whippet likes this.
  12. BergerHead

BergerHead plastic phantastic Supporting Member

Aug 22, 2018
    Basel, Switzerland
    I'm part of a musicians pool who play worship, music-nights, gospel-choirs and other ad hoc gigging. And since we bassists are rather few, it gets me gigging nearly weekly. I never looked for celebrity, so i never felt like publishing for it is pretty laborious and time consuming. Time i d'rather spend on artistry on which i'm also quite gifted and more successful ... and i quitted to post any pics+clips of mine, for me there's no reason to do so.

raphaeld and Whippet like this.
  13. Wow, it seems like you’ve made some big assumptions there. Her gender is irrelevant. I don’t listen to Victor Wooten for the same reasons; I am not moved. To me there is a ton of knowledge and technique but a lack of emotion. The whole approach is too cerebral for me. I don’t listen to music to be impressed by facility. I want to be moved and this style of playing from anyone, male or female doesn’t move me at all. Shredding is just grandstanding. I want thoughtful musical decisions that show discrimination in musical choices not technical wizardry.

Mili and raphaeld like this.
  14. raphaeld

raphaeld

Sep 19, 2012
    Israel
    Exactly, for me this is moving (careful awful loads of fast notes LOL!!)

and way much more impressed/movedby her

Whippet, Alex Bass and retslock like this.
  15. AboutSweetSue

AboutSweetSue

Sep 29, 2018
    Lebanon, TN
    It’s all about how genuine the criticism is. A lot of people will scour the depths of their souls to find any negative, no matter how trivial. I don’t know why, but they always travel to the negative, not positive.

Or maybe it’s just how those who receive the criticism take it. I think to be critical naturally flows to the end of what is wrong, not what is right. I think that is why criticism is so hard to take sometimes, we don’t like to be in the wrong.

The best way I’ve learned to take criticism is to remember that some is BS and some is genuine. Taking criticism from your peers probably lowers the chance for BS but doesn’t eliminate it. Deciphering criticisms and not letting it negatively affect you (learning to grow from it) is a skill that is learned. You get very used to it, which is also very freeing.

Do not fear criticism or let it affect you negatively and the problem is solved.

16. DrayMiles

DrayMiles

Feb 24, 2007
    East Coast
    I think she is, I believe, Indian... Culturally, most Indians will strongly inform you they are not black. And most blacks... IMO... Will not benefit from any cultural nepotism on behalf of most originating from that culture. There have been some articles/incidents in Asia/Korea in regard to a (ahem ;) ) "lightening" trend that points to that. At least, that's what I continually see from week to week here in the States in S.T.E.M. et. al. This theory IMO didn't/doesn't apply to first generation Asians to the same extent (Given what I viewed when I lived abroad. My hypothesis is still in development...

Please carry on...

Whippet and rollie 55 like this.
  17. Well said. I've been a professional musician most of my life. Music schools are the most competitive critical places...

But i guess it's because i see such great players being posted here and getting criticized for things i totally disagree about that makes me realize that my criteria is very different from many, or most, here. So it's not criticism that i want to hear.

When you work hard to master something.... subjective criticism isn't the goal, probably.

I've had a hard time having rational conversations with non musicians who criticized musicians who were clearly very good, because "she is terrible.... that style of music makes me sick".

To read musicians saying imho similar things (I can't listen to this, it's not musical, anyone can learn this, she'll grow up and get musical).... is frustrating.

She's already long surpassed the levels of bass playing most achieve in a lifetime.

I understand not liking the piece of music. But the player is outstanding.

And if I post here, many will likely not like it.

My taste leans towards experimenting and doing things unbasslike, i'm sure, according to some here, although i love just playing traditional bass stuff and made a living at it for a long time.

Last edited: Jun 10, 2019
    WesW, OtherLisa, bobyoung53 and 3 others like this.
  18. DrayMiles

DrayMiles

Feb 24, 2007
    East Coast
    IMO...

She’s a good bassist. An acquired taste for some... An allergic reaction to others.
    To those of us who remember Richard Pryor, he commented similarly re: Leon Spinks...

Be happy for any musician earning a living. We can agree or disagree on things, but music is subjective. Different colors sit in a rainbow...

19. BeefPie84

BeefPie84

Mar 29, 2019
    Those are curls, not dreadlocks. She has naturally curly hair.

Whippet likes this.
  20. jerry

jerry Doesn't know BDO Gold Supporting Member

Dec 13, 1999
    I really hope we are not going after her dress/look now.

bobyoung53 and Whippet like this.