1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Be honest, how many of you

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by Whippet, Jun 8, 2019.

1. BeefPie84

BeefPie84

Mar 29, 2019
    Do you know what a dreadlock is?

2. BeefPie84

BeefPie84

Mar 29, 2019
    YOU said she looked black because she had "dreadlocks". She doesn't. Sorry you pigeonholed her race based on a fashion ideal you apparently have no idea about.

Curls:

SAIP5209-750x400.

Dreadlocks:

dreadlocks1.

Alex Bass likes this.
  3. DWBass

DWBass The Funkfather

The term 'dreadlocks' is an incorrect term. They are called 'Locks'. Her hairstyle I believe are twists or something like that.

Back to Mohini..........has nothing to do with gender or race. Female musicians are not something new. She is an excellent musician who obviously has spent a LOT of time woodshedding. I only dream of having those kind of skills. I'm just not a fan of the music she plays. I get it all. I used to be a fusion head. Loved it but it's gotten to a point where the playing is so fast, it is no longer enjoyable to ME. 8-10 minute solos??? Ugh! Scott Ambush of Spyro Gyra is an amazing bassist but his uber long solos just drive me nuts.

retslock, Whippet and rollie 55 like this.
  4. I made it a minute into the first video, enough to get the point.

It is very musical wanking. That's a compliment. She's very talented.

Whippet likes this.
  5. Salt peanuts!

Whippet likes this.
  6. Bass V

Bass V

Dec 11, 2008
    Honolulu, Hawaii
    the old adage of ''I wish I could play like that, and then wouldn't'' comes to mind. but good for her!

bobyoung53 and Whippet like this.
  7. Some nice moments.
    Some cringe-inducing moments.
    Lots of little musical explorations strung together.
    It would be nice if she developed the nice little ideas into individual pieces.
    Just my take on it.

aureliab20gt and Whippet like this.
  8. Samatza

Samatza

Apr 15, 2019
    Mohini has chops for days, man that girl can play and I couldn’t reach that level if my life depended on it. It is however hard to listen to for extended periods because it’s like someone is shouting at you all the time, unless of course you’re into that style of music. I suspect that as she gets older she will change and say more with less, that said she is very talented.

Whippet, BergerHead and Alex Bass like this.
  9. LowNotes1

LowNotes1

Jun 8, 2008
    As a bass player, I can appreciate the technique. However, my wife would call it “noodling”.

Whippet likes this.
  10. dpbass66

dpbass66

May 20, 2010
    When I recall similar solo spots of guys like John Pattitucci or Gary Willis or Esperanza Spalding, they seem much more musical and cohesive. The beginning of her solo just seemed like a lot of disjointed chordal and harmonic ideas, and though she has very good technique, even that seemed sloppy at times.

Whippet likes this.
  11. Sholmer

Sholmer

Aug 31, 2016
    Just amazin’! ‘Nuff said!

Whippet and RayPaganJr like this.
  12. RayPaganJr

RayPaganJr

Sep 3, 2016
    I love listening to her. And yes, I can listen to her for an hour with no problem. I also like to listen to Esperanza Spalding, but as soon as she starts singing that dubie wabba dubie BS, it’s time to go.

bolophonic and Whippet like this.
  13. Passinwind

Passinwind I know nothing. Commercial User

Dec 3, 2003
    Columbia River Gorge, WA.
    Owner/Designer &Toaster Tech Passinwind Electronics
    Easy solution: listen but don't watch. That's been my default mode with YouTube vids, since...forever. [​IMG]

dpbass66, Whippet and SteveCS like this.
  14. RockinJohnny

RockinJohnny

Jan 18, 2007
    Ear training, ie recognition of intervals and rhythmic groupings, will make what she is doing understandable. Lots of practice will make it playable, if that is your desire. I guess I'm old school, but I prefer to hear a bassist playing really tasteful lines as a part of a great rhythm section. Solo shredding, for me anyway, sounds better on a guitar, keyboard, or horn.

15. armelind

armelind

Feb 6, 2012
    For me, it is about talent, precision and taste. I get bored easily. When I listen to music, it has to be interesting. I like to listen to music and go back and listen again and find something I never heard before. I analyze the music in my head. I listen for each instrument and try to appreciate what everyone is playing and hear each note. Good quality recorded music and decent listening equipment allows for that. (crappy low quality mp3 recordings are a no-no.)
    I am not educated by school. I don't know theory (much). But I have been a musician for "decades" and I have done recording. I have run live sound. For me, it is about knowing what sounds good. Forget the radio because most radio music is repetition created to grab the attention of the lowest common denominator of listeners.
    The more music you listen to, the more you appreciate and can relate to higher caliber musicians. I cannot play like this musician, but I can hear the notes and I can relate to them and it gives me a positive emotional reaction.

Whippet and SteveCS like this.
  16. seventhson

seventhson Supporting Member

Aug 12, 2005
    Seattle, WA
    I don't understand how she can play what she plays. But I do understand that I love it.

Whippet likes this.
  17. ariwax

ariwax Insonating the acoustic window Supporting Member

Apr 3, 2005
    Cleveland, OH
    I get what she’s doing and have no problem with the fact that a he’s waaaaay better than I will ever be. But despite her technical mastery, I find the music tedious. She is probably a more inventive player than this vid portrays, but this sounds like several people trying out new basses at Guitar Center at the same time, and not listening to each other.

Whippet likes this.
  18. Joe Lonsdale

Joe Lonsdale

Jan 12, 2019
    I absolutely don't get it. Unmusical, scrappy and without purpose. But there are entire sections of the music community who thrive on stuff like this, so each to their own.

19. BergerHead

BergerHead plastic phantastic Supporting Member

Aug 22, 2018
    Basel, Switzerland
    Could it be you lack of respect toward an extraordinary musician and other that show a bitta more appreciation?There's plenty of stuff in the net which i dislike, but never mind, i keep me off trolling it; got me? :rollno:

Last edited: Jun 13, 2019
    Whippet likes this.
  20. Everyone has a different take on this. The points that it’s scrappy and unmusical do have some validity. Her feel and timing are way off, especially in the slap bits. A good feel and sense rhythm is fundamental for good slap.

Whippet likes this.