1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Be honest, please

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Big mark, Aug 5, 2012.

1. Big mark

Big mark

Jun 12, 2010
    Hi all, I have spent the last couple of months looking into "true value" of the Fender bass's
    Sorry to say this but unless you are buying to resell (in which case USA made is the obvious choice) I really can't see how anyone justifies the ticket price of the MIA
    To be frank, even some of the Squiers I have played have been damn close to MIA quality, ok the PUPs have not been up quite "there" but nothing £150
    wouldn't sort.
    So my question to you is.....

Have I just got less picky in my old age or is the quality of MIM, Squier etc up at about 90% of MIA but at a fraction of the price!!

2. Datsgor

Datsgor Supporting Member

Jul 29, 2000
    California
    I honestly don't know.

3. Big mark

Big mark

Jun 12, 2010
    PS I would also include the S by MM bass's in this!

4. nixdad

nixdad

Aug 15, 2008
    Los Angeles, CA
    My son just bought a Modern Player Jag bass which is made in China. The quality is fantastic, and the tone is killer. Amazing bass for a little of $300.

He already owns several American made P's & J's, and we both have experience with most of the top basses. This import Fender is fantastic. Recognizing that these are all tools, it's a great tool, period.

5. Woofer

Woofer

Sep 24, 2008
    OBX
    You've gotten less picky. Nothing wrong with that, or with Squier. I've got an Affinity jazz 5, and it's a great bass, but it's nowhere near an MIA. Neither are any of the other Squiers, which are also really good in their own regard.

Leap in cost comes from better hardware/electronics, better fit bs finish, and bodies from fewer pieces of lumber which are less 'green' than those used on the Squiers.

6. pacojas

pacojas "FYYA BUN"

Oct 11, 2009
    MEXICANADAMERICA
    why don't you be honest?!!:confused:

7. Big mark

Big mark

Jun 12, 2010
    Woofer, thanks for the input. I ask the question (and I am being very genuine) do you feel that the MIA is a 4 times better tool as the price would suggest?

I'm not trying to stir a nest, just really trying to understand/feel peoples opinions

8. Big mark

Big mark

Jun 12, 2010
    Thanks Nixdad, Pacojas who?

9. lfmn16

lfmn16 Supporting Member

Sep 21, 2011
    charles town, wv
    OK, I'll be honest. I don't know what possible point this thread could have since the subject has been discussed to death with no consensus being reached.

If you can't justify the price difference; no problem. Just don't act like there is something wrong with me because I do think they are worth the extra money. It's not always explicitly said, but it almost always seems to be implied.

edit:
    If this is really what you want to do you could read the other 100 threads on this exact subject.

10. mazdah

mazdah

Jan 29, 2010
    Kalisz, Poland
    I just can't understand your problem with US Made Fenders.
    They are good, but the ones made in china, mexico and japan (although I don't like MIJ Fenders) are good too.

I'ts up to you to decide which bass is good for you. No country origin, no brand and no price matters - the only thing that is important is whether you like the instrument or not.

Dont try to justify ticket price of US Made Fenders. Maybe they're just not for you. I like them very much, just as Mexican made ones.
    I've never played Modern Players made in China...

But I never liked any MIJ Fender I played. I just didn't like them. And I'm not trying to look for a reason, they are great axes but not for me, I prefer MIM Fenders over MIJ. I don't care if MIJ are "better", I don't like them - plain and simple.

11. Evil Undead

Evil Undead

Oct 31, 2009
    I loved my Squier but I like the comfort blanket of graphite rods in the neck of MIA's plus better bridge, tuners and electronics. No mods needed and I know this bass will last for longer than I'm still able to play.

12. Big mark

Big mark

Jun 12, 2010
    Ifmn16, thank you for your opinion. This thread is not to reach an agreed result.

13. Big mark

Big mark

Jun 12, 2010
    Mazdah, please don't miss understand, I have no issue with MIA. And you rightly state that what is important is "the fell to the buyer" to paraphrase.
    I'm interested in all opinions. No prejudice no judgement, no bun fight. Just informed feelings

14. 1954bassman

1954bassman

Jun 7, 2004
    Hickory, NC
    I can honestly say that every imorted Fender bass I have ever picked up and played was not worth the "Average Retail Selling Price" of said bass. But, the old '78 Precicision I used to own was a great sounding and playing bass.

15. MIA fenders are better quality, no doubt. But the audience doesn't care (or for that matter know) what you're playing so long as it sounds good and keeps them dancing! To the bassist, I'd say how it feels is most important, but to the audience, I don't think the sound really matters (well, to an extent)
    I tried this once at a school gig. I compared a MIA jag guitar to a squier Jag (don't remember the series) guitar. I then asked the audience which sound a better, to which a member of the audience yelled out 'I can't tell, you only played one right?'. Another member said 'who cares, just play the song'
    I'd played both, and the audience couldn't tell the difference in a GUITAR. which is a lead instrument.

16. Big mark

Big mark

Jun 12, 2010
    Evil Undead, I do not doubt the better tuners, bridge etc. But how did it feel? If you had not read the spec how much difference would you have noticed?

17. georgestrings

georgestrings Banned

Nov 5, 2005

This, 100%... I honestly don't care what anyone else plays - but I happen to be at the stage of my life and playing career where I can afford to own and play some really nice gear - and I've gotta say, it is enjoyable...

Now, I tend to buy most of my stuff used, but in excellent condition - so, I don't take the "new price" hit... On the used market, if one shops around - you can buy some really nice MIA Fenders for reasonable prices - and *I* feel the price vs quality differences are much more even when buying used...

For example - I paid $630 for my '08 American Standard Jazz, and it is much nicer than any import Fender I've ever played - worth every penny, IMO... New price diferences??? - maybe not so much, but on the used market it's a different story...

- georgestrings

18. Evil Undead

Evil Undead

Oct 31, 2009
    I've owned (and really liked) three different Squier CV Precisions and one MIA Standard Precision.

The only one I still own and have no plans to part with is the MIA, and I'm notoriously fussy about neck feel.

19. georgestrings

georgestrings Banned

Nov 5, 2005
    Agreed on the posiflex rods - those MIA necks are extremely stable, and are very nice to play on: great fretwork and nut, nice rolled edges on the fretboard...

Also agreed on not needing to mod anything on them, either - they're just great instruments right out of the box...

- georgestrings

20. jmattbassplaya

jmattbassplaya Looking for a gig around East Islip, NY!

Jan 13, 2008
    The BEST bass tone I've ever heard came from a Squier Affinity. I should of picked up that bass when I had the chance, but by the time I came back to the store it was gone. Someone got the fattest, gnarliest, and most grindy Precision ever made when they bought it. The thing played like poo and had horrible intonation problems, though.