Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Be like Steve Irwin - (online game)

Discussion in 'Off Topic [BG]' started by Marlat, Feb 5, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Marlat

Marlat

Sep 17, 2002
    London UK
  2. lbanks

lbanks

Jul 17, 2003
    Ennui, IN USA
    Ok. Thats sick...

3. Tsal

Tsal

Jan 28, 2000
    Finland, EU
    Hee hee. That rocks - but then again, anything with Steve on it does :D

4. Petebass

Petebass

Dec 22, 2002
    QLD Australia
    MArk why are you encouraging them?

BTW, that's the worst Australian accent I've ever heard.

5. Electricmayhem

Electricmayhem

Dec 18, 2003
    NH
    :eek:
    Okay. That's just sick.

6. jivetkr

jivetkr

May 15, 2002
    NJ
    is this guy big time in australia? just curious

7. Reminds me of a song I heard yesterday called "Decapitated Baby"

8. He isn't anything over here, really. He only became famous when people wondered why the overseas market seemed to be interested. Most of the people I talk to think of him in the same light as Crocodile Dundee - completely exaggerated and detrimental to the image of the general Australian. The fact is, both Crocodile Dundee and the Crocodile Hunter portray an image of Australia and Australians that I personally find offensive. I admit, he's entertaining; in a laugh AT him kind of way. However, that does nothing to defeat the fact that life over here doesn't resemble a life that he or the others like him suggest.

[k]

9. Tsal

Tsal

Jan 28, 2000
    Finland, EU
    What? You mean that all aussies don't run around catching crocs or wrangling deathly snakes for living? I find that hard to believe.. :crying:

10. jivetkr

jivetkr

May 15, 2002
    NJ
    Thats what I thought. I imagined that most australians were probably annoyed by him at this point. Just wanted to confirm.

I'm just waiting for him to get his ass handed to him by one of those crocs. You cant play with fire that long & not get burned.

11. DigMe

DigMe

Aug 10, 2002
    Waco, TX
    I've talked to too many Australians that are WAY too bothered by Steve Irwin. Do you really think that the average non-Aussie thinks that all Aussies are like that? Do you see us being worried that you think we're a bunch of Allen Iversons, Jerry Springers or Bill Clintons?! I'm here to provide relief...most Americans (can't really speak for other countries) with any amount of sense don't believe that Australia is full of Crocodile Dundees or Steve Irwins.

:bag:

brad cook

12. Wrong Robot

Wrong Robot Guest

Apr 8, 2002
    Of course the average australian isn't like Steve irwin or Dundee, duh.

they're all like this
    [​IMG] :p

13. Tim Cole

Tim Cole

Jun 12, 2002
    Findlay, Ohio
    Maybe we should have an international superstar trade. We'll take crock hunter if you take M. Jackson.

Lie we really want HIM representing us.

14. Marlat

Marlat

Sep 17, 2002
    London UK
    I don't know too many who are bothered by him. Most people just think he is a kind of celebrity oddity - I highly doubt anyone of any intelligence could think that he is representative of Australians - any more than Dame Edna or Russell Crowe (ugh!) is!

15. DigMe

DigMe

Aug 10, 2002
    Waco, TX
    I've spoken to more than one aussie who has become pretty heated talking about Irwin.

brad cook

16. kegbarnacle

kegbarnacle

Nov 18, 2003
    Phoenix
    We had better all hope that the celebrities from our respective countries do not represent the face of the country to the rest of the world. Especially the Canadians, who stuck us with Bryan Adams AND Celiene Dion!!!!

Bonzer!

17. Marlat

Marlat

Sep 17, 2002
    London UK
    Given there around 20mil of us, a handfull of people on the internet does not make a representative sample! ;)

Chances are there are a few people who dont like him - so what, I don't like Celine Dion - doesnt mean all Aussies dont like her!

18. Davehenning

Davehenning

Aug 9, 2001
    Los Angeles
    i have seen a lot of retarded things in my lifetime......
    that game is definitely one of them.

19. Mark, as I said in my previous post, most of the people I talk to view him with the same disdain as I. Also, from the travel overseas that I've been fortunate to have, they do have distorted views of Australian life due to such shows. For example, a common belief is that Kangaroos bounce around in all our backyards and dingos eat our babies on a regular basis. Perhaps thats a view that only the naive have, but intelligence is a bell curve...

My main complaint with Steve Irwan is that, off hand, I struggle to think of an intelligent, sophisticated Aussie who is known by the international audience. If we keep producing 'entertainers', and I use that term loosely, who are on the lower extremities of brains, how can we be stereotyped as anything other than stupid? And if anyone is thinking I'm being a little harsh on Steve, scroll up the page...

[k]

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.