Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Be my Beta testers, please!

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by barroso, Sep 10, 2002.

1. barroso

barroso

Aug 16, 2000
    Italia
    ok guys i have quite finished the work on the website of a local luthier. i posted the link months back, but now everything seems quite finished so i repost the link and i wait for your comments on the final website design.

please consider that the result is a mix between my intentions and the wishes of Ruggero who is the talented luthier. i know that there are some issues with some text part too. i'll work on them asap!

this is the website: www.rashguitars.it

come on!!

2. CS

CS

Dec 11, 1999
    UK
    Artist link-inop
    Pictures and text not centred-looks lopsided
    Wood background looks like an Ikea ad

OK that's all the negative things I can think of. You probably havent done the artist bit. The other two items are subjective.

Generally the site looks good. The English is good. The pictures are clear. I like the pics left, test right format. It looks professionall. I could go on but I'm not used to being positive so I'll stop.

Nice one!

3. Johnalex

Johnalex

Jul 20, 2001
    South Carolina
    It looks great...I like the wood backround. Man those basses look nice. Good job!!

4. 1. You don't actually annouce what the site is for on the first page. You mentioned that something is being handcrafted in Italy but not specifically what. This might get you into trouble with search engines. I'd add in something a little specific. Like custom bass guitars, double bass, etc.

2. The logo is not linked. A lot of people, including myself, are somewhat trained nowadays to click on the logo first. *shrug* good, bad or indifferent you'll find that new users will generally try to click the logo before anything else.

3. The g01.gif is a *gif*. GIF 89A images are great for non-complex common color images. Such as line drawings where there is a lot of one color on a single line. The compression code works best on those. But GIF's are generally terrible when dealing with photo type images. For those use PNG or JPG.

That g01.gif is around 22k in size. Not bad for broadband but could be annoying for dialup. By switching to JPG and reducing the color palette some you could probably reduce the size to around 10k-12k. Or less.

4. All images of guitars should have the site logo stenciled onto them. That way they can't be used for any purpose without a reference back to the site. You should also have the copyright disclaimer on every page (at the bottom, which is traditional now) and a contact point for people who wish to get images & material without the stencil.

Having a stencil, however small and light, would prevent any eBay nonsense. As in the example of that person trying to sell a non-existent Zon.

5. Your background image is a bit tall. This extends the entire page quite a bit further than it has to. Just to point it out as there really isn't anything necessarily bad about that.

6. It's interesting that your javascript menu extends upwards rather than downwards like most of them do. It shouldn't cause a problem but I'd definitely check the site on a computer set to 640 x 480. If possible I'd also have it checked on a wireless PDA (ask to try one out at a store). By extending upwards you might run into problems where the menu is already at the top of the screen. In which case the extended menu would be above the screen edge and out of reach.

7. There doesn't seem to be enough images of the guitars. Only front views and no side or back views. Also the bass listings don't include scale length.

8. The Artists page is the same as the Gallery page. Not necessarily bad but I'd definitely suggest making it a different page. If there is a dearth of available artists to put on this page then I'd suggest finding some and making a discount deal with them. Having one or two would be useful.

If none are available then I'd remove this page until there are. Having it blank, or directed to another page, just draws attention to it. Half of web design is in not including stuff.

9. In the About Us page I'd include a picture of the people making these things. That makes the site less sterile and actually more human. It's one thing to order something from a web page. It's something completely else to have a visual image to tag along to give a human face to a voice or email reply.

In this case you're almost selling the makers as much as the guitars. You have to strive for a level of "connection" between potential buyers and the people making them.

Remember this is just my 2 shekels. It's just an opinion and you should, by all means, make the final decisions on what to use, what to ignore and what to file into a trashcan. :)

5. barroso

barroso

Aug 16, 2000
    Italia
    WOW guys, you are really helpful once again!!!

i know that the website has to be improved a lot and these are more than good starting points.

you RULE

6. Tsal

Tsal

Jan 28, 2000
    Finland, EU
    I'm viewing it right now, with Opera 6.04 in XP. Here are some comments!

Entry Page: I would like to see the Italian and English links further apart. The size is quite good but they are bit too close. You could make some fancy graphics for the links, for example fading flags and set them so that english link graphic is bit up and left, italian below it and more to the right. This way it would be easier to click on the correct link. The wooden bg is quite nice, though. Also, I would add product name to the logo, 'handcrafted guitars' or something, and also to the topic of the site.

Home Page: Otherwise quite nice, but I prefer having contact info right on the page. You could put the street address, telephone and email address below the guitar pic. If you are going to spend €2000, you want to know more than just the email address! On the link matter, I would perhaps change the 'Artists' to 'Players' - I think 'artist' can point at both luthiers and musicians.

Instruments: Perhaps it would be better to have all product link pictures on the same side of the text. The Mr Meter pop-up is quite well designed, I especially like the pic usage here. Make all pop-ups similar.

Woods: Again, have the pics on the same side of the text. Otherwise, nice job. Pups-page looks neat too.

Gallery: Very nice! Good thumbnails linked to good quality large pics, and every pic is explained. I would make the artists page different from gallery, though.

About Us: I would put a pic of the owner with his work here, which would make the text more humane. Perhaps also nature pic from nearby, if the area where he is located looks nice.

In general, the design and colors are very neat and professional looking. Good job, Barroso!

7. barroso

barroso

Aug 16, 2000
    Italia
    thanks Tsal. Yours are good points too.

8. Stephen S

Stephen S Member

Apr 10, 2002
    San Bernardino, CA
    The part on the first page where it says " handcrafted in italy" doesnt fit and all of those pictures need some kind of border so that they can kind of blend with that woodgrain. it would make your job easier if you got rid of the woodgrain all together but it looks like you like it.

9. barroso

barroso

Aug 16, 2000
    Italia
    i dont' like the wood grain that much. the woodgrainlover is the luthier himself!!

10. There are several glaring errors in the English translation for some of the paragraphs - improper noun forms, and too much use of contractions to begin.

11. barroso

barroso

Aug 16, 2000
    Italia
    thanks to you too hambone!

we'll work on the english asap.

i really appreciate.