Be my own man or conform...?

Discussion in 'Technique [BG]' started by polo3378, Nov 21, 2000.

1. polo3378

Nov 21, 2000
    Being that I am a beginning bass player who loves to play in the traditional two finger, no-pick technique, I have always felt discomforted by the notion that if you cannot play a certain technique, you are no good. For me, I feel left behind because I am stil learning the ABC's of the pop/slap technique. As with the other techniques, is it necessary to immediately get into them, or to go at your own pace? Please let me know? One more thing, who would you recommend to me as a good pop/slap bassist to begin following in terms of learning the basics? I know there are many, but I would like to know yours!
    Thanks everyone!!!
  2. If you are a beginner, in my belief you have chosen the right technique to learn with. That technique will allow you to play most bass styles. However, it is also my belief that learning other techniques, such as popping, slapping, and even picking will allow you to expand your versitality as a bassist, and will open your opportunities for more work. I also believe that you should work into these other styles at your own pace, as you feel comfortable. Rushing into it may be a bit much at first, depending on your aptitude. Some players learn faster than others. As you said, there are many players to use as an influence. Use the one you think best fits the style of music you like to play.

Best of luck to your bass playing, and look forward to seeing more of your posts on this forum!

3. polo3378

Nov 21, 2000
    Thank you for the kind words. I will definitely take your ideals to heart.
    Take care!
  4. Herm is absolutely spot on with his advice.

Take things at your own pace and introduce things when you feel comfortable. Don't try to rush things, in time it will all fall into place.

For slap and pop IMHO you could do worse than grab the Alexis Sklarevski video "The slap bass program" this takes you all the way from beginner to advanced and is well produced and fun too.

You may also want to try and find a good teacher to help you along.

Good luck and keep practising.
  5. brianrost

brianrost Gold Supporting Member

Apr 26, 2000
    Boston, Taxachusetts

As soon as you start judging yourself against others you're lost. The important thing is the MUSIC.

From a technical standpoint I'm a total zero but I've been working regularly with seasoned professionals (still feels funny to get to work with guys whose records I bought when I was just a kid) for almost twenty years now because I support the music. I can play in tune, I can play in time and I ask questions when I'm not sure what to do. That got me a lot farther than learning how to slap.

Technique is a wonderful thing, I practice all the time trying to get better, but it's always just in service of the music. If thumping root-fives all night is what's right, I'm there, baby!

So like others said, keep working at it.
  6. Pop/slap is nothing more than an articulation technique. It's not that important, take your time and don't sweat it.
    I know at least one of Philly's *top* session guys who refuses to do it. If someone asks for it he'll tell him he doesn't play that way and suggest that If slap is really what they want to hire someone else for the gig.

The important stuff to learn is solid time and harmony.
  7. Steve S

Steve S

Jul 26, 2000
    You're new to the bass and asking for help - that is great! I wish I was as enlightened as you when I was 22. Please find a good teacher and take some lessons and....practice, practice, practice. That way you will become a great player!