1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

"Be MYself Again" by Eric Benet

Discussion in 'General Instruction [BG]' started by DannyShem, Oct 11, 2017.

1. DannyShem

DannyShem

Jan 31, 2013
    QUESTION: what is the best bass rhythm for "Be Myself Again"? (links below to song and chords).

BACKGROUND: "Be Myself Again" does not include bass (as far as I can tell). The main shythm of the song is a strong back beat, with percussive sounds (accented guitar strumming, hand clapping, etc.) restricted to beats 2 and 4. The kick drum hits 1-2-3-4 with some double hits on 2-4, creating syncopated feel against the back beat.

MY STABS IN THE DARK: At first, I just hit the 1 (and 3) beats, since the bass adds definition to the chord changes, but then I was completely out of sync with the back beat. Next I tried to play just the 2 and 4 beats. (I found this very challenging since I kept falling back into the 1-3 beats like a horse to water). It felt strange changing chords a beat behind the song. Also, there are sections of the verse and chorus that seem to need hitting 1 and 3. I could not figure out a graceful way to transition between 1-3 and 2-4 rhythm.

Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Youtube posting of the studio version of the song:

Guitar chords:
    Eric Benét - Be Myself Again (Chords)