Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

BE Q10B-LX on the way...latching cover?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by coyoteboy, Nov 12, 2002.

1. coyoteboy

coyoteboy easy there, Ned Supporting Member

Mar 29, 2000
    Sactomato, CA
    Yes, I've decided on the Bag End Q10B for my next cab, I'm getting it finished in Line-X, because I hate carpet, now I have to decide if I want to spend the extra $$ to get a groovy latching front cover for this cab like they do for their larger PA enclosures.

My only problem with this idea is that the Q10 is rear ported, so even with a front cover, there would still be four open ports on the back side, so the enclosure wouldn't be "sealed".

Or, I could wimp out at just make a dust cover with holes for the handles.

Any Mesa Road Ready users want to chime in?

2. cb56

cb56

Jul 2, 2000
    Central Illinois
    I went with dust covers for my Bag end 15 cabs. It keeps the dust and mositure out and also keeps my cats from climbing into the hole in the back of the cab.

3. I find that a dust cover is pretty good for most applications. Unless the cabinet is gonna take a lot of abuse, and I mean a few boots to the grill or something. Good choice on no carpet. My EA has a poly-urea coating, and it is so much cleaner.

Cats in the cab. Well if a cat went in my cab, I think it would deserve whatever happened when I turned the amp on and pounded a few notes out. Unless its head came through the speaker. That would really annoy me.

Geoff

4. cb56

cb56

Jul 2, 2000
    Central Illinois
    Don't think that thought didn't cross my mind also :D

5. VicDamone

VicDamone

Jun 25, 2000
    Welcom to the END. Congradulations on your purchase of your new LOUDspeaker.

I have a question. With your apparent good taste and knowledge of things that go booom, and with all the new stuff that's out there what was it that sold you on an oddly dimentioned, slightly porky, watt hungry design from the olden days?

Got amp?

6. coyoteboy

Mar 29, 2000
    Sactomato, CA
    Hmm..

The odd dimension suits me fine, as it will fit on top of my rack just right without sticking out on either side. My rack is 23" wide.

Porky= good plywood and solid consruction.

You think 103db is wattage hungry??

Olden days? If a design is more than a year old, then it's antiquated?

What sold me was the good frequency response without using a tweeter element, for use as a dual purpose Bass/Guitar range enclosure for Bass Guitar and Chapman Stick. A chunky and sometimes overdriven rhythm guitar sound leaves the tweeter out, and this cab goes to 6k, which is higher than alot of guitar speakers, so it will be bright enough.

Thanks for the responses guys, I think I'll forego the latching cover, and make a nice cordura slip cover.

7. VicDamone

VicDamone

Jun 25, 2000
    I simply didn't read you original post very well. LX, that is new. You still have good taste. I also failed to write, 'with a sarcastic tone,' in my post. I think most other 4-10"s and 2-10"s are oddly shapped.

Enjoy!

8. coyoteboy

Mar 29, 2000
    Sactomato, CA
    Naw, I didn't take any kind of offense, just suprised at the characterization of that particular Bag End cab. BTW, -LX was my designation for a Line-X finished cab. -C for carpet, -D for deep red, -B for birch, -LX for Line-X.

9. basss

basss

Aug 27, 2001
    NYC
    What's Line-X? Is this an option on any BE cab?

10. coyoteboy

Mar 29, 2000
    Sactomato, CA
    Line-X is a brand name of a professional spray-on truck bed liner. I'm hopefully having it put on the BE cab I am ordering. I am awaiting price confirmation from Bass NW.

I hate carpet, and the Line-x is durable, easy to clean, and repairable. As to whether it will be a common option from Bag End, if I can get it, then anyone can get it. -LX is my UNoffical designation.

11. fast slapper

fast slapper

Dec 11, 2001
    Fresno, CA
    Do you like it better than your Epifani's?

12. coyoteboy

Mar 29, 2000
    Sactomato, CA
    My Epifani's are excellent cabs. I will still keep my T-112 for light duties, but my rig needs have changed, evolved recently. Besides, I haven't purchased something in a while, and you know, we gotta keep the economy pumping!

p.s. the BE Q10B-LX has now been ordered and paid for (thanks Aaron and Bass NW) and I hope I get it before my B-day, which happens to also be Thanksgiving.

p.p.s. so, it's not a matter of better, just closer to what I'm after.

13. coyoteboy

Mar 29, 2000
    Sactomato, CA
    Vic-

If I had spied your profile before replying, I would have known you were being sarcastic...speaking of ELF...what kind of wattage do you feed the 18? Any problems or suprises with using the ELF system?

14. jondog

jondog

Mar 14, 2002
    NYC metro area
    To avoid confusion, you might want to pick another abbreviation for your coating. BE's X abbreviation denotes the coaxial tweeter. So, if I got your truck guy to spray mine I'd have a BE S15X-D-LX.

15. coyoteboy

Mar 29, 2000
    Sactomato, CA
    Actually, it would be a S15X-LX, though I guess it could be just -L...Q10B-L...I like the -LX better :D