Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

"Be the Change" by Prasanna

Discussion in 'Recordings [BG]' started by Dincrest, Aug 29, 2005.

1. Dincrest

Dincrest

Sep 27, 2004
    New Jersey
    Hello all. I just picked up a copy of this amazing CD by Indian guitar virtuoso Prasanna. It has Victor Wooten and Alphonso Johnson on bass. Two of my faves. Alphonso has an amazing fretless solo in "Ragabop."

Anyway, the CD is amazing. It smoothly blends jazz with south Indian Karnatic music (utilizing complex ragas) and has blown away everyone I've shared it with. I gush about this CD in my webjournal.

Anyone else heard this CD? Anyone else fans of Prasanna? I know you're out there.

His site: http://www.guitarprasanna.com

2. Tash

Tash

Feb 13, 2005
    Bel Air Maryland
    My theory teacher last semester brought a CD by him to show the class when we were discussing use of non-western tonalities in western style music. It was really, really cool.

3. Dincrest

Dincrest

Sep 27, 2004
    New Jersey
    Glad you enjoyed it. I found that this CD seems to transcend so much. I love it, my parents love it, older family members love it, younger family members love it, rock fans dig it, jazz heads dig it...

4. DaveBeny

DaveBeny

Mar 22, 2000
    London, UK
    Just checked out his website after listening again to Tony Grey's album for the first time in months.

I think anyone who likes McLaughlin's Shakti work or Shawn Lane's Indo-fusion recordings with Hellborg would dig Prasanna.

I'll try and find a copy of 'Be the Change' over here. I see he has a new album coming out dedicated to Hendrix.

I'd like to check out his instructional DVD sometime.