Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Beach and or Birch for necks?

Discussion in 'Luthier's Corner' started by tjclem, May 20, 2005.

1. tjclem

tjclem Supporting Member Commercial User

Jun 6, 2004
    Central Florida
    Owner and builder Clementbass
    Anybody try them?

2. gyancey

gyancey

Mar 25, 2002
    Austin, TX
    I accidently used birch for the necks on my 2nd and 3rd basses since it was sold to me as maple and I didn't know any better. It will work but maple is better and easier to carve.

3. tjclem

Jun 6, 2004
    Central Florida
    thanks the piece I am looking at is very tight grained and seems heavy so I thought I would ask.......t

4. fyi, it's beech. It is hard and used a lot in kitchen stuff (bread boxes, chop boards, etc). It's a little more open grained than birch. I like birch better because it feels a lot like maple (that's why greg was fooled, I'm sure that doesn't happen anymore!) and it's stiffer. It's prettier too. A lot of dudes out there use it for necks, even one piece ones.

5. Suburban

Suburban

Jan 15, 2001
    lower mid Sweden
    Beech is a bit special in comparison to birch and maple (to my knowledge): the different variants are pretty similar in regard to stiffness and strenght.

Birch...the right kind of birch outnumbers hard maple on every point: stiffer stronger and lighter. Though not as hard...

However, both birch and maple show a huge diversity in mechanical data. So you need to take care!

I use what we call 'glass birch', because it's the best. Comparable to wenge, except hardness. Beech is too heavy and maple is not as good. :bag:

6. mrphattay

mrphattay Supporting Member

Mar 20, 2005
    Alembic had used Birch for many of their necks during the early-mid '70s. Not sure, but I think that it's utilized now only as a custom ordered option. Over time, the Birch mellows nicely under the clear coat, very similar to Maple.

7. tjclem

Jun 6, 2004
    Central Florida
    found out it was birch and snagged it :smug: .t