1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Beach boys bassists

Discussion in 'Bassists [BG]' started by Oldboy, Apr 27, 2010.

1. Hi.I've just watched "Endless Harmony" and was wondering how many session bassists the Beach boys used in their career?I know about Carol Kaye and Joe Osborne,but there must have been more.I watched their Anaheim Stadium concert recently and the bass player on that was unknown to me.No disrespect to him but he reminded me of Artie Schiff off The Simpsons!I saw him again on Endless Harmony,playing bass on Cool Cool Water,off the Sunflower album.Anybody know who he is?Just curious.By the way,I think the bassline on God Only Knows is pure genius.

2. Turock

Turock Supporting Member

Apr 30, 2000
    Melnibone
    I'm pretty sure that Glen Campbell played bass with them for a while.

3. ExaltBass

ExaltBass Gold Supporting Member

Sep 28, 2006
    Twin Cities, MN
    Bruce Johnston replaced Brian on bass in 1965 and stuck with them until the end. Nice voice, a good songwriter too (Disney Girls, I Write the Songs).

4. Coincidence??.

I was listening to the radio this morning and the DJ (Chris Evans on the Radio 2 breakfast show for any Brits listening) played Barry Manilow's "I write the songs" and whilst I was remembering all the cabaret acts who I'd backed doing it back in the day he mentioned it was written by Bruce Johston of the Beach Boys!!.

The next song he played was "Galveston" sung by Glen Campbell, another one often belted out by the cabaret singers I used to back..

(... insert twighlight zone theme here ...)

5. Spooky or wot?I was thinking more of the session men on recordings rather than actual members.The Good Vibrations Tour Anaheim gig is actually on Sky Arts 1 as I type,and that bassist is on, and he played God Only Knows note for note what Brian wrote.Even the bassist with the Wondermints plays it so.I guess Brian was,and indeed still is pretty strict that way.If you could imagine G.O.K or some of the other bass prominent BB numbers played other that the way Brian arranged them,they would take on a completely different character.I don't mean cover versions by other bands,by the way,rather incarnations of the Beach Boys themselves.