Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Beach Boys- Smile

Discussion in 'Recordings [BG]' started by hateater, Mar 9, 2004.

1. hateater

hateater snatch canadian cream

May 4, 2001
    Eugene, OR
    As a kid, I loved the Beach Boys. As a young adult I find that I still love the beach boys, and I believe that the bootleg "Smile" doesn't get enough recognition.

The story goes, that Brian Wilson was pretty much detached from the Beach Boys at this point in his life, and he had turned to drugs (as was the thing to do at the time). This album was to follow up Pet Sounds, and surpass it on all levels. However, many people who heard it thought that it was simply too odd, and that it would never do well. Capitol made Brian scrap the project (I think), and the masters where thought to be destroyed.

The masters, however, were not destroyed, and of course someone nabbed them and made boots. There are many different versions, and most likely, none of them are correct. Brian was still not "complete" with the album when all was said and done, so the tracks were never put in the order that he intended them to be in.

The bootleg that I have is excellent quality, and to put it in 60's terms, blows my mind. I believe this is a must have album if you are a fan of psychadelic rock, the Beach Boys, or the Beatles.

Any opnions on this album?

2. DaveBeny

DaveBeny

Mar 22, 2000
    London, UK
    If you can get hold of this month's 'Mojo' magazine (Brian Wilson on the cover), there is a big feature on 'Smile'.

Brian Wilson has been touring the UK in the last fornight, playing 'Smile' from beginning to end. Following the recent 'Pet Sounds' tour, one of his bandmembers began to bring together as much of the material that had not been lost and played it to Brian. It seems that Brian had not thought about this music for a very long time, and he started remembered all sorts of details that were never recorded, etc. The recent concerts have presented 'Smile' as Brian Wilson always intended.

The response to the shows has been overwhelming - standing ovations everywhere! There is even talk of the album eventually now being finished and released!

3. hateater

May 4, 2001
    Eugene, OR
    One of my friends was telling me about that last night. You better believe I will be in the front row when he comes to the states!

4. I saw the Smile show in Birmingham, were you there David?Amazing stuff, totally different to any other Beach Boys album.

By the way, I'm not sure if the story is right about capitol making Brian scrap the project, I heard Brian himself scraped the project because of a spate of fires in L.A whilst recording the fire section of the album.

5. hateater

May 4, 2001
    Eugene, OR

In the video I used to have about the Beach Boys, Brian talked about when they recorded the track "Fire". It showed them wearing firemen's helmets and burning wood in the studio, and Brian said that he believed that somehow he believed that they started a couple of fires just accross the street.

Capital made Brian scrap the project because he was laggin' big time. Also, no one really understood some of the lyrics such as:

"A diamond necklace played the pawn
    Hand in hand some drummed along, oh
    To a handsome man and baton
    A blind class aristocracy
    Back through the opera glass you see
    The pit and the pendulum drawn
    Columnated ruins domino

Canvass the town and brush the backdrop
    Are you sleeping?

Hung velvet overtaken me
    Dim chandelier awaken me
    To a song dissolved in the dawn
    The music hall a costly bow
    The music all is lost for now
    To a muted trumperter swan
    Columnated ruins domino

Canvass the town and brush the backdrop
    Are you sleeping, Brother John?

Dove nested towers the hour was
    Strike the street quicksilver moon
    Carriage across the fog
    Two-Step to lamp lights cellar tune
    The laughs come hard in Auld Lang Syne

The glass was raised, the fired rose
    The fullness of the wine, the dim last toasting
    While at port adieu or die

A choke of grief hard hardened I
    Beyond belief a broken man too tough to cry

Surf's Up
    Aboard a tidal wave
    Come about hard and join
    The young and often spring you gave
    I heard the word
    Wonderful thing
    A children's song"

Personally, I love those lyrics. Just look at this line: "Hand in hand some drummed along, oh
    To a handsome man and baton". I think it is really awesome how he came up with a way to say hand in hand some and then handsome... genius.

6. Richard Lindsey

Richard Lindsey

Mar 25, 2000
    Metro NYC
    Those lyrics were Van Dyke Parks, not Brian. Still cool, though.

I'll be in line to buy Smile if they ever record it.

7. hateater

May 4, 2001
    Eugene, OR
    You know, I am just not sure about that. It is true that Van Dyke Parks wrote all of the lyrics in smile, but Surf's up was released later, and to my knowledge, there is no mention of Parks anywhere in the credits. I could be wrong!

EDIT!- I was wrong! The credits go to Parks/Wilson. Maybe he helped with the lyrics, maybe he just wrote the music, the world may never know.

8. DaveBeny

DaveBeny

Mar 22, 2000
    London, UK
    bass87,
    Unfortunately I wasn't able to make it. Tickets for Brian Wilson shows have been very expensive (about £50 I believe). Do you live in the Birmingham area? Brum is my hometown, but I'm currently living in Nottingham for a year as a postgraduate student.

9. Richard Lindsey

Richard Lindsey

Mar 25, 2000
    Metro NYC
    Yeah, my copy of Surf's Up has Wilson-Parks too. Besides, it's my understanding that even though that song was released later, it was originally intended for Smile. I could be wrong on that, though.

10. hateater

May 4, 2001
    Eugene, OR
    No, you're right, it was written, and intended to be on Smile. Many (almost all) bootlegs of Smile have it as an ending track. Mine doesn't, however.

I think a lot of the younger guys are skipping over this thread because it has the words "Beach Boys" and "Smile". I think I need to throw some B&W pictures of Broken Angel looking depressed so we can get some more views.