1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Beach Jam

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Lanzy, Apr 2, 2015.

1. Lanzy

Lanzy

Dec 5, 2014
    Hi everyone

I know i ask a lot about gear, but here it goes.

Over the summer, me and a few friends are going on vacation for a week, and we all play instruments. The only thing missing from our vacation last year was music, so we are all going acoustic and bringing instruments with us.

Thats 2 guitars, 1 ukele, and a singer on the beach, plus me.

So here was my question. I know ABGs are not very loud, but i was wondering if there were any exceptions. I was looking for a cheaper one as its only real purpose would be to play on vacation. Thoughts on how to make an ABG loud without an amp? Im looking for something cheaper and that can get sand in it. It also has to be portable and loud.

Anyone have any thoughts?

Don't say upright, i do play that but theres simply no space to bring it with me.

Im open to a battery powered mini amp, but it would have to be cheap small and sand proof, and i would prefer an ABG

So any ideas?

2. mellowinman

mellowinman Free Man

Oct 19, 2011
    Minneapolis
    I'm not aware of any way besides amplification that you will not get lost in that mix.

mbelue likes this.
  3. tonybassman

tonybassman

Jul 27, 2011
  4. jd56hawk

jd56hawk

Sep 12, 2011
    The Garden State
    I love my Dean Exotica... superb electronics and I used to have a Dean EABC...jumbo body, but I wouldn't dream of playing an acoustic bass without and amp.
    If you want an acoustic bass, I wouldn't talk you out of one seeing that my Exotica's plugged-in tone is on par with that of my P bass, but you'd definitely
    need an amp.
    Now, if you already have a cheap/backup bass that you can bring, simply buy a Roland Micro Cube Bass amp.
    Runs on batteries and is deceptively loud. Seven different amp model sounds to choose from and it makes the Pignose Hog 30 sound anemic.

Last edited: Apr 3, 2015
    Joedog likes this.
  5. Funkmabassup

Funkmabassup

Jul 16, 2013
    maybe a resonator bass? wont sound very bassy but might be easier too hear in the mix. No acoustic bass is really usable acoustic unfortunately but they say the guitarron is loud enough.

6. tonybassman

tonybassman

Jul 27, 2011
    Wow, that is a nice little amp and also has a drum machine. If you have the money and a cheap bass this is probably the answer.

Roland Micro Cube Bass RX Bass Combo Amp | GuitarCenter

7. Lanzy

Lanzy

Dec 5, 2014
    Thanks for all the replies! I have one bass.

Right now, my set up is a 80$ amazon.com starter bass (Huntington outlaw p i believe) With d'addario chrome flat wounds on it

I have a faulty Fender Rumble 25 as my only amp right now.

I would love to check out the microcube, but i don't want to spend more on an amp that will get full of sand from playing on the beach with my friends for one week then i did on the rest of my equipment.

Any other suggestions? I will try and see if i can find that amp used, for a lower price, but the idea of being able to just carry around an acoustic bass and nothing more, no wires or plugs, is pretty appealing to me.

Thanks for all the responses, keep em coming

8. MD

MD

Nov 7, 2000
    Marin Co. CA.
    Probably a Dean. Jumbo size, inexpensive, and NBD if it gets sand in it.
    Play it hard with high action. Hopefully, the guitars will show some sensitivity to dynamics.

9. jd56hawk

jd56hawk

Sep 12, 2011
    The Garden State
    Sure, the Pignose Hog 30. I don't think it's quite as good as the Roland...no amp modeling, no drum machine, and I'm not sure if you can hook up an ipod to play along to music...but some people love them.
    Maybe I shouldn't have put down their sound earlier, but I just think the Micro Cube is better due to two of the amp models I really like.
    Regardless, the Hog 30 is rechargable and doesn't require buying batteries every time your AAs run out...just plug it in.
    New, they're about $150 but I see used at Guitar Center and on ebay for under $100. In fact, there's a really nice on there now for $99.
    k4t8pu.
    Hard to find a good video...only a few on youtube...but this one might give you an idea.

10. DiabolusInMusic

DiabolusInMusic Functionless Art is Merely Tolerated Vandalism Supporting Member

I don't think you need to buy a new one if it gets sand in it, you can probably just shake it out.

;) :D

11. Baird6869

Baird6869 RIP Gord Downey. A True Canadian Icon.

Use a pick with the ABG. Might make it louder than u think in the mix. Alternatively, a battery powered amp

12. Baird6869

Baird6869 RIP Gord Downey. A True Canadian Icon.

Thanks for jogging my memory about this little guy. I found and ordered one new for approx $159 USD at a local retailer. Let's see if it actually ships.

13. MD

MD

Nov 7, 2000
    Marin Co. CA.
    No, not NBD, NBD - no big deal.:D

14. GretschWretch

GretschWretch Supporting Member

Dec 27, 2013
    East Central Alabama
    A used Dean playmate, with the (lame) passive electronics (which you should not need on the beach). BIG body, loud enough -- especially if played with a pick -- for two guitars and a uke. And the guitarists WILL have to lay back -- not on account of the bass; on account of the singer.

15. bholder

bholder Affable Sociopath Supporting Member

Sep 2, 2001
    Vestal, NY
    Received a gift from Sire* (see sig)
    It is possible, they do exist, but they are not cheap and might not be something you'd want to take to the beach. The Ernie Ball Earthwood will do the job, for example, there are other basses that will as well, and about the only thing you'll find in common are the two required components - huge body, and fairly expensive. I've heard good things about the Tacoma Thunderchief and some of the Breedlove models, but you might not find much else under $1K. Goes for amps, too, small portable battery powered bass amps exist (Phil Jones Briefcase, for example), but not sand proof by any means. I have an old Crate Bass Bus batter powered amp that worked fairly well, but didn't last very long and is no longer made. (Should see if I can find someone and get it fixed up.)

16. bholder

Sep 2, 2001
    Vestal, NY
    Now that depends on the singer. Some of us are born loud - don't think I've met a pair of acoustic guitars I couldn't easily out-sing, no matter how hard they're played.

17. Look for a guitarrón mexicano. Very loud. Aaaand it's a six string!
    Guitarron.

bholder likes this.
  18. bholder

Sep 2, 2001
    Vestal, NY
    ernie 1. Regal Bass-o-guitar.
    whichever way you want to go, we're talking big bottoms!

quickfix likes this.
  19. bholder

Sep 2, 2001
    Vestal, NY
    Can't resist...

Frozen J likes this.
  20. Joedog

Joedog

Jan 28, 2010
    Pensacola FL
    Sounds like funds are a big issue. You are not likely to find a loud enough AB for cheap (if at all). I'd use your paid for electric and get something like a used Pignose (or a used Roland if you can dig up the scratch).

bholder likes this.