Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

BEAD 4 String

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by fastplant, Oct 3, 2005.

1. fastplant

fastplant

Sep 26, 2002
    Connecticut
    I play only 5 strings, but I have a buddy that wants to go down to the B, but doesn't want to replace his 4 string. I've heard of people restringing BEAD. What considerations should he be aware of?

2. debbandruss

debbandruss

Jun 10, 2004
    Hi Fastplant, well my setup is a jazz fretless(tuned normally) & a Precision special tuned B-E-A-D, the combo has worked beyond my hopes! Anyway here ya go! The only mechanical procedures involve opening up the nut for the increase in string guage, not to difficult, but if he's not confident doing this a tech can for a nominal fee. And next because of the increase in string gauge comes a slight increase in string tension over the neck, so the truss rod will probably need to be tightened slightly to compensate for this. You can get advice for that in the setup section here, or again drop by and have a tech fix you up. Very very simple changeover really. Good luck & Have Fun!

edit: At the very very worst were talkin a $7 nut and a small bit of labor... and the bass is back to original

3. trog

trog

Nov 8, 2003
    Scotland
    Yeah, the main consideration is that the nut will have to be widened. Personally, I'd get someone in the know to do that, as I'd be scared of making the hole too large and rendering the bass unplayable.

4. epoxo57

epoxo57

Feb 17, 2005
    Perrysburg, Ohio
    You won't get the "lows" and they may be more "floppy", but you could just keep the same strings without the mod to the nut, just adjust the action a little higher. This is what I am doing for now on my Warwick until I feel I really want the change. If he does go with 5 string gauges, he may have to make the bridge holes where the strings are loaded wider also.

5. FunkSlap89

FunkSlap89

Apr 26, 2005
    Albany, NY
  6. BillyB_from_LZ

BillyB_from_LZ Supporting Member

Sep 7, 2000
    Chicago
    I have a question...if one takes a hollow violin shaped 4-string bass and strings it B-E-A-D, is it a "Beadle"
    bass? :D :bag:

7. Scott Lynch

Scott Lynch Supporting Member

haha, nice one. :p

8. monkfill

monkfill

Jan 1, 2003
    Kansas City

Eh, worst that can happen if you carve too much of the nut away is you have to spend a couple bucks to replace the nut. No biggie (unless its like the Modulus I used to have where the nut appeared to be molded into the neck) But the key is to make the slot bigger from side to side, but don't make it deeper (meaning don't carve the slot so the string sits closer to the board)

Someone mentioned string tension-- the B string actually places a few pounds less tension on the neck than the G, so you're getting less tension on the neck.

9. retitled

retitled

Feb 13, 2004
    forest hills
  10. Niels Keijzer

Niels Keijzer Guest

Nov 27, 2000
    I have a status energy 4 that I bought second-hand relatively cheap, and which is stringed BEAD. It plays and sounds great, and the B's tension is satisfying due to the graphite parts in the neck.

When I bought it, I had the shop-owner file out the nut. I believe he also corrected the truss-rod for the neck to deal with the lower tension. I wouldn't like doing these operations myself.

I benefited from Brendan's tips, which helped me decide to get this done.

After having it for one year, I'm about to change strings...

Niels