1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

BEAD Conversion Strings

Discussion in 'Strings [BG]' started by Antisyzygy, Apr 16, 2015.

1. Antisyzygy

Antisyzygy

Dec 8, 2014
    Washington
    I'm looking to mod a P-bass to have BEAD tuning, but I'd rather not mess with the nut too much. Are there any taperwound sets appropriate for this? Are there any flatwounds or groundwounds that would be appropriate for this?

I appreciate any tips or advice, thanks!

2. lz4005

lz4005

Oct 22, 2013
    Taperwounds taper at the ball end of the string. They are not different at the nut than non-tapers.

Any 5 string set minus the G will work. Round, flat, ground, etc.

3. Antisyzygy

Antisyzygy

Dec 8, 2014
    Washington
    Huh, I didn't know that--never used tapers before. So it sounds like I might need to do some nut work. Thanks!

4. Alien8

Alien8

Jan 29, 2014
    I did a Squier VM Pbass with regular 5 string d'addarios and it sounds fantastic. Totally worth the nut job!!

5. Antisyzygy

Antisyzygy

Dec 8, 2014
    Washington
    I have a Squier Standard I wanted to do it to. I just want something deep for when it calls for it! I don't have a five string at the moment, always been a 4-string player.

6. TheEmptyCell

TheEmptyCell Bearded Dingwall Enthusiast Banned

Lots of cheap basses have a poorly cut nut. It's entirely possible you could put bigger strings on and not need to file the nut at all.

7. Antisyzygy

Antisyzygy

Dec 8, 2014
    Washington
    Im pretty sure the nut was already replaced, looks like TUSQ. I bought it from a guy that swapped out a bunch of stuff on it. Still, as soon as I got it I replaced the rounds that were on it with flats and the D string needed some paper to limit nut buzz, so maybe you're right.

I'm considering giving this a go myself and just buying some nut files along with my strings. If you're right then I'll have some nut files sitting around for later!

Last edited: Apr 17, 2015
  8. Antisyzygy

Antisyzygy

Dec 8, 2014
    Washington
    It looks like I could use the DR DDT-65 Drop Down strings. They're considered medium gauge when used as BEAD strings on a 5 string, but sold as Extra-Heavy gauge for a 4 string bass.

I'm curious though. These strings are supposed to be used for maintaining clarity and intonation when drop tuning, so I wonder if the DTT-50's would work well (Heavy gauge on 4 / Probably close to light gauge on 5) without necessarily needing modification of the nut.

9. TheEmptyCell

TheEmptyCell Bearded Dingwall Enthusiast Banned

Terms like heavy and light are irrelevant.

Actual size is what matters. On a 34" scale bass, you need strings staring between .125 and .135 to get a decent low B.

lz4005 likes this.
  10. Antisyzygy

Antisyzygy

Dec 8, 2014
    Washington
    Light, heavy, etc. describe a quality, not a quantity. It was just easier than mentioning four measurements.

It sounds like the DDT-65s are the way to go, thanks for the advice!

11. On BSO you can get sets of singles reasonably enough. Jason is good to ask about things like this too. I'm going to be ordering some D'Addario XLs soon for this tuning on a p-ish bass. Might be a better alternative if you don't like DR strings(IIRC Roto makes a set of their 66s for BEAD as well).

Antisyzygy likes this.