1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to post, make friends, earn reward points at our store, remove most ads and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

BEAD Flatwound Strings: Tension?

Discussion in 'Strings [BG]' started by e-flat, Mar 20, 2014.

1. e-flat

e-flat Supporting Member

Jun 15, 2009
    Washington State
    I've searched this topic & not come up with a direct match for my question, so don't grill me too hard if it's been covered :D

I'm building up my stable of basses as I get back in to bass playing after a 2 year hiatus.

I am starting plans for a dedicated BEAD tuned bass which will probably be a simple P Style build. I have gravitated toward Flatwounds and Tapewounds recently, and would like to stay on that course with this build.

If any of you guys run a BEAD 34" scale bass with flats or tapes, I'd love to hear any suggestions for strings that maintain a moderate tension .... Brands, gauges, and other insights would be helpful. On a four string EADG, I've dug Chromes & Labellas for flats, and love a set of La Bella White Nylons that I just got last week. I'd like to move more towards the La Bella tone for this bass, and stay out of Chromes tone (though its a cool sound!).

Thinking of building a custom set of La bella DTBs or GHS Precisions from Bass Strings Online.

Style-wise, I run the gamut from sparse & subtle singer-songwriter stuff, to roots rock to heavier rock styles, dub tones are common, and I often record basslines for friend's freaky hip hop projects.

Thanks for any input!

Jester#fc89ac likes this.