1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

BEAD for a 34", 4 string.

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Sauron_, Sep 16, 2008.

1. I want to tune BEAD on a 34", 4 string because is the kind of bass I am more comfortable with.

I know the Ibanez ATK from Paul Gray (puke inlays...), the Corvette Taranis (too expensive) and the Sandberg Terra Bass (expensive too).

But I wonder if there is a way to adjust a ATK300 or a Traben Chaos Core 4 string (my two favourite on it's price range) to BEAD without having floppy-like-spaguetti strings...

2. Rumblefisher

Rumblefisher

Aug 22, 2007
    Astoria, NY
    Change the nut and wind the strings tight. That should help a bit.

3. The nut? why? to acommodate higher caliber strings?

4. Rumblefisher

Rumblefisher

Aug 22, 2007
    Astoria, NY
    You are correct sir. The strings will fit a ton better, helping to accomodate them.

5. Thank you!!

I wonder if a string thru body highmass bridge helps to the detunning.

6. EricF

EricF Habitual User

Sep 26, 2005
    Pasadena, CA
    Yes. The slots in the nut will need to be widened to fit the larger diameter strings. Otherwise, they will not seat properly and probably rattle.

7. ghiadub

ghiadub Supporting Member

Jan 17, 2006
    Auburn, CA
    in case it is not obvious, you will need to use the lower 4 of a 5 string set.

Also, if you are too floppy, you can just tune up a half step or two as needed.

Also, higher tension strings help with the bead floppyness on 34". I use sadowskys.

8. mrkreuzschlitz

mrkreuzschlitz

Jun 30, 2008
    Dacula, GA
    You should be fine if you do this. As of string through vs. top load, there isn't a TON of difference.

9. Rumblefisher

Rumblefisher

Aug 22, 2007
    Astoria, NY
    No problem Sauron. Let us know how it turns out :)

10. buy a set of 5strings, throw the G string by the window, file nut and that's it.

11. Like everyone else said - you need heavier gauge strings - then you will need to give it a setup again [neck relief / saddle height / intonation]. The saddle height might be OK as it is, but make sure you have enough room to move the E string saddle back (intonation) first.
    My basses are setup for CGCF using 50 / 70 / 90 /110.

12. I saw a bass player do this this weekend actually. I was a bit confused how he was able to play so low with a 4 string. If you do this approach you won't be floppy at all since all the strings should be "normal" tension for the set.

13. MoEllis

MoEllis

Sep 11, 2008
    Los Angeles
    just like a 34" 5 string.. there not terrible.. i got 3 lol but you should be fine after a set up and maybe a nut adjustment

14. Thank you everyone, you've been very helpfull.

15. Hey! I've got new bass!!! Reviews soon... ;)