BEAD on a 4 string bass

Discussion in 'Strings [BG]' started by SuperSluggard, Jun 9, 2004.

1. SuperSluggard

Jan 2, 2004
    Has anyone ever tried using tuning their string on a 4 string bass to BEAD? And when using this tuning, have you used standard 5 string bass strings, not including the G string? I would like to get a 5 string bass, although currently I don't have one, and I never use to the G string on my bass anyway. So, please let me know if this would work.
  2. JimK

Dec 12, 1999
    I have never tried re-tuning EADG to = BEAD.
    I have re-strung to BEAD.
    I did need to use a tapered core "B" string(so it would fit my bridge).
    The nut also needed some filing.

Anthony Jackson did the BEAD thang back in the '70s(pre-5 string & 6-string).

Schecter was recently selling a BEAD bass.
  3. hodgy

May 5, 2004
    Bothell, WA
    Tech Support- Ampeg/ Mackie
    My G&L Asat is strung up BEAD (it is my backup for the Fiver).
    I use a 5 string set (.125 on the low side, I think), and had my boy K-dog do a set-up for me. It's dreamy.
    I also had to use a tapered strings for it to rock properly.
  4. I tune my 4 stringer down to BEAD and I just use Rotosound flats 110-97-75-50 and it sounds unbelievably deep and gutsy. Detuned flatwounds are the greatest sound ever
  5. I've detuned a few times. If your lowest string is a .105" or so, it will probably be too floppy to play easily. The others seem to work remarkably well. If you need the high G, maybe you could go from B flat to G, in fifths. You'd need a thicker string for the B flat, and probably for a B in BEAD tuning.