1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

BEAD on a 4 string bass

Discussion in 'Strings [BG]' started by SuperSluggard, Jun 9, 2004.

1. SuperSluggard

SuperSluggard

Jan 2, 2004
    Has anyone ever tried using tuning their string on a 4 string bass to BEAD? And when using this tuning, have you used standard 5 string bass strings, not including the G string? I would like to get a 5 string bass, although currently I don't have one, and I never use to the G string on my bass anyway. So, please let me know if this would work.

2. JimK

JimK

Dec 12, 1999
    I have never tried re-tuning EADG to = BEAD.
    I have re-strung to BEAD.
    I did need to use a tapered core "B" string(so it would fit my bridge).
    The nut also needed some filing.

Anthony Jackson did the BEAD thang back in the '70s(pre-5 string & 6-string).

Schecter was recently selling a BEAD bass.

3. hodgy

hodgy

May 5, 2004
    Bothell, WA
    Tech Support- Ampeg/ Mackie
    My G&L Asat is strung up BEAD (it is my backup for the Fiver).
    I use a 5 string set (.125 on the low side, I think), and had my boy K-dog do a set-up for me. It's dreamy.
    I also had to use a tapered strings for it to rock properly.

4. I tune my 4 stringer down to BEAD and I just use rotosound flats 110-97-75-50 and it sounds unbelievably deep and gutsy. Detuned flatwounds are the greatest sound ever

5. I've detuned a few times. If your lowest string is a .105" or so, it will probably be too floppy to play easily. The others seem to work remarkably well. If you need the high G, maybe you could go from B flat to G, in fifths. You'd need a thicker string for the B flat, and probably for a B in BEAD tuning.