1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

BEAD on Fender Blacktop

Discussion in 'Strings [BG]' started by Michael Cline, Nov 5, 2018.

1. Michael Cline

Michael Cline

Jan 13, 2018
    Picked up a Fender Blacktop and thinking about stringing it BEAD. Any suggestions or tips? Thanks

2. Your post is way too vague for any meaningful responses. What specific suggestions and tips are you seeking?

3. bigtone23

bigtone23

Dec 10, 2014
    Denver, CO
    Not sure what to suggest other than widen the nut slots and set it up fully so it plays it's best in BEAD. I set my Dyna Bass for BEAD by just using a 5 string set I had and ditching the G string. Widened the slots with some proper nut files that I already had. Didn't need to adjust the saddles nor truss rod much, surprisingly.

4. GIBrat51

GIBrat51 Innocent as the day is long Supporting Member

Mar 5, 2013
    Lost Wages, Nevada
    a
    Carvin LB-20 1.JPG ^^This^^, pretty much. I had my LB-20 Carvin set up that way for a while - with Roto Tru Bass 88 Tapes. They've since been replaced with the 65-130 strings from a 5-er set of Roto 77 Jazz Flats. Anyhow; the two things that always seem to come up with BEAD tuning are:
    1. A floppy B string. I don't know why this should be the case so often on a 4 stringer, - when it doesn't seem to be for a 5-er - but.. it is. The tape wound B string on the Carvin was.. tolerable, but IMO, just barely. The Jazz Flats B string is noticeably better... If you use a 5 string set to do this, you might want to get a set with (for 5-ers) a B string on the lighter side. Mine, as I say, is sorta OK - because the flat wound B is very stiff - but probably still too heavy..
    2. Intonation. Some 4 string bridges don't like trying to intonate a B string; some simply won't do it at all. And, some are perfectly OK with it. IIRC, a bent plate Fender bridge is usually an "OK with it" one. The Hipshot A bridge on my Carvin will intonate the B string, too - but only just...

There's a BEAD Club around here somewhere; you might want to check them out...:thumbsup:

Last edited: Nov 17, 2018
  5. I had a local Luthier setup my Ibby SR600 in BEAD, but rather than filing the stock nut, he made a new nut from bone so if I ever wanted to go back - I could. He did a great job, and also polished my frets for $60 which I thought was a good deal. I took it home, and gave it a new setup (relief, action height, intonation). I'd also suggest using 5-string sets because there are so many more choices than with drop sets ... unless you find a set you like. I've been using D'Add Prosteels EPS300-5 (balanced tension) set with 127T, 107T, 85T, 63, and throw the 43 G away. A $20 set.