Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

BEAD or CADC?

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by brewer9, Feb 12, 2001.

1. brewer9

brewer9

Jul 5, 2000
    What are the standard tuning variations that metal bands are using? like Papa Roach, KORN, etc.

2. Luis Fabara

Luis Fabara

Aug 13, 2000
    Ecuador (South America)
    Audio Pro - Ecuador
    If im not mistaken..Korn Uses:
    ADADG
    It is a 5 String Bass with the lowest 2 strings tuned a whole step down.

On the Guitar,, it would be:
    ADADGBE

3. Fieldy at least has his B tuned to A. Papa Roach just uses standard 5 tuning, BEADG. Filter and Godsmack are often tuned DADG and Godsmack sometimes goes to CADG, like Coal Chamber and Tool. Limp Bizkit has a weird tuning for 5 string, which I think is A#DGCF#, or something like that.

4. rickbass

rickbass Supporting Member

If any of your "etc.'s" are using a 4, you often see it referred to as Drop D tuning, or as I call it, Drop dead tuning."

5. brewer9

brewer9

Jul 5, 2000
    The etc's are whatever is being used. The answers are excellent including some etc's, so keep it up. I dont care if its 4 or 5 strings cuz most of the music played this way is only on the two or three lowest strings anyway.

6. Papa Roach uses standard 5-string tuning, BEADG.
    KoRn tunes down one full step, so the bass is ADGCF and the 7-string geetarz are ADGCFAD.
    Rayna for Coal Chamber uses a 4 string tuned to BEAD.
    I think Sam Rivers tunes his bass UP, to match Wes's guitar, C#F#BEG#.
    A lot of bands (Slipknot, Machine Head, Mudvayne, Soulfly, Sevendust, etc.) tune to C# and drop their low string to B, hence BF#BE.
    Thanks for cyklone777's tuning lesson, see ya next week :D

7. Wes I AM

Wes I AM

May 27, 2000
    Tampa, FL
    Sam Rivers of LB tunes his A#C#GCF#
    Robbie Merrill of Godsmack tunes his CGCF or DADG depending on the song.
    And I tune mine in standard BEADG, standard, except when I eventually get a warwick thumb 4 I'll tune it BEAD (in case anyone wants to aspire to be like me) lol.

8. *ToNeS*

*ToNeS*

Jan 12, 2001
    Sydney AU
    look, there's no point in going "oh this band uses this tuning" becoz they *ALWAYS* vary it - the standard couple of ways most new age bands do it is like this:

"Sevendust" style - Db Ab Db Gb

"KoRn" style - A G D C F

"Deftones" style - C G D C (this is only on the new album, tho - they change tunings <every> CD)

"Placebo" style - F Bb Eb Ab

"Kittie" style - C G C F A

"Limp Bizkit" style - C# F# B E (for a 4-string .. dunno 'bout a 5)

"Tool" style - D A D G (drop D, essentially)

.. i think that covers most of 'em .. no doubt there's heaps more, but these are the ones most people are interested in (i think)

9. DarkMazda

DarkMazda

Jun 3, 2000
    NJ
    The band im in(We play Metal).. Guitarists use C#-F#-B-E-G#-C#-F# and A-D-G-C-E-A-D

I tune C#-F#-B-E and A-E-A-D-G. but im planning to get my "NEXT" Bass (Secret, but some people know already :rolleyes:), im gonna tune it A-C#-F#-B-E and use one bass ^_^