1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to post, make friends, earn reward points at our store, remove most ads and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

BEAD + Sterling = ???

Discussion in 'Hardware, Setup & Repair [BG]' started by Ender_rpm, Nov 18, 2004.

1. Ender_rpm

Ender_rpm

Apr 18, 2004
    St. Louis MO
    Hey all. I just restrung my Sterling to BEAD. I am using D'addario XLs with a .130, .100, etc. The B string seems to have the correct tension, but I am wierded out by how much fatter it is than the E. I do like the sound, and I think I will keep it like this, but are there any other 5 string sets where the B and E are a little closer in guage? Or am I just whining:) ?

2. Thee

Thee

Feb 11, 2004
    San Luis Obispo, CA
    Whining. I haven't experimented much with a low B, but, generally, the lighter you go, the looser feel you are going to get with that B. I would check www.juststrings.com for your string options. I'm sure there are some.

3. Ender_rpm

Ender_rpm

Apr 18, 2004
    St. Louis MO
    Thanks for the link. That will do nicely :)

4. Folmeister

Folmeister Knowledge is Good - Emile Faber Supporting Member

May 7, 2003
    Tomball, Texas
    I have a Sterling strung BEAD and I found DRs are a good brand. You might try TIs or any other compression-wound strings. By the way, I REALLY like how the Sterling sounds strung this way!

5. Ender_rpm

Ender_rpm

Apr 18, 2004
    St. Louis MO
    I am still getting used to the sound, but so far, I really like it. I think I may have to get a higher powered amp though, as the ampeg gets "indistinct" on the low notes. I sue DRs on my guitars, i'll give em a try. Musicians friend had a twofer on the XL 5 sets, so I figured I could experiment :hyper:

6. Folmeister

Folmeister Knowledge is Good - Emile Faber Supporting Member

May 7, 2003
    Tomball, Texas
    Go for it. I have two Sterlings and the one I strung BEAD has a much more aggressive tonal quality. It KILLS through my Demeter/Aguilar/Mesa rig.