Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

BEAD + Sterling = ???

Discussion in 'Hardware, Setup & Repair [BG]' started by Ender_rpm, Nov 18, 2004.

1. Ender_rpm

Ender_rpm

Apr 18, 2004
    St. Louis MO
    Hey all. I just restrung my Sterling to BEAD. I am using D'addario XLs with a .130, .100, etc. The B string seems to have the correct tension, but I am wierded out by how much fatter it is than the E. I do like the sound, and I think I will keep it like this, but are there any other 5 string sets where the B and E are a little closer in guage? Or am I just whining:) ?

2. Thee

Thee

Feb 11, 2004
    San Luis Obispo, CA
    Whining. I haven't experimented much with a low B, but, generally, the lighter you go, the looser feel you are going to get with that B. I would check www.juststrings.com for your string options. I'm sure there are some.

3. Ender_rpm

Ender_rpm

Apr 18, 2004
    St. Louis MO
    Thanks for the link. That will do nicely :)

4. Folmeister

Folmeister Knowledge is Good - Emile Faber Supporting Member

May 7, 2003
    Tomball, Texas
    I have a Sterling strung BEAD and I found DRs are a good brand. You might try TIs or any other compression-wound strings. By the way, I REALLY like how the Sterling sounds strung this way!

5. Ender_rpm

Ender_rpm

Apr 18, 2004
    St. Louis MO
    I am still getting used to the sound, but so far, I really like it. I think I may have to get a higher powered amp though, as the ampeg gets "indistinct" on the low notes. I sue DRs on my guitars, i'll give em a try. Musicians friend had a twofer on the XL 5 sets, so I figured I could experiment :hyper:

6. Folmeister

Folmeister Knowledge is Good - Emile Faber Supporting Member

May 7, 2003
    Tomball, Texas
    Go for it. I have two Sterlings and the one I strung BEAD has a much more aggressive tonal quality. It KILLS through my Demeter/Aguilar/Mesa rig.