1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

BEAD tuning for 4 string

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by fusion, Aug 23, 2001.

1. Hi, I like my 4 string Thunderbird, but I want to get the low end of a five. I don't use the G that much and I was wondering if anyone knew if this tuning would be bad to do.

2. jazzbo

jazzbo

Aug 25, 2000
    San Francisco, CA
    Yes, it is bad to not use your G string too much.

3. A fellow bassplayer asked me the same question a couple of weeks ago.. he wanted to tune his Stinger down to drop C, but without the floppy E-string. It was pretty easy.. all we had to do was make the dent in the nut a little wider, and raise the action a little bit.. then we put in reasonable thin strings ( .060 - .125 , lose the .040 g-string )
    and it sounds like a killer.

4. JimK

JimK

Dec 12, 1999
    Fuse-
    ...I used to keep one bass strung BEAD(in fact, Schecter is selling a BEAD bass); I knew a guy who de-tuned his EADG to DGCF(step lower).
    If you do opt for BEAD, you'll have to possibly modify the nut; also, make sure the B-string will fir through the bridge properly...on my bass, I hadda go with a taper core B 'cause the Smith bridge wasn't accomodating! ;)

5. Thanks for the info guys. I'm gonna try it.