1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

BEAD Tuning on a 4-string

Discussion in 'Hardware, Setup & Repair [BG]' started by t-bird fan, Sep 6, 2008.

1. t-bird fan

t-bird fan

Sep 6, 2008
    I know I'm going to get ripped for asking before searching.

I'm getting a Epiphone Goth Thunderbird and I want to tune it to BEAD. It has a 34" scale. I have read that I will want to get a 130 or bigger for a B string and I may need to file the nut.

Can anyone suggest good string gauges to promote good even tension? I'm mostly concerned with blending the tones of the B and E so they sound like one string. I want to keep the action low and the tension medium with limited string buzz (don't we all).

Any advice appreciated. Thanks

2. eastcoasteddie

eastcoasteddie

Mar 24, 2006
    NoVA
    There is no real science to it. .130" B string, .100" E, .080 A, .065" D. That's what I use on all my basses. 34" scale.

3. Been there, done that - no problem - just remember to open out the nut sideways - *not down*!!!

:)

4. And maybe a quarter turn, or two, on the truss rod, clockwise.

5. I always use 130, 105, 85, 65, 45 on 5-strings. To get the tonality of the B and E strings to match I would go with the thicker E string (105 as opposed to 100)
    When I tuned and Ibanez 4-string BEAD I had to drill out the hole in the back of the bridge just a little to get the B string through.

6. Ampegged Paul

Ampegged Paul

Jun 17, 2008
    Syracuse,NY
    I had the exact same bass with the exact same tuning. I used GHS heavies(B=.115). I filed the nut very little and didnt adjust the truss at all. I had to get rid of it because it was so friggin neck heavy.:bassist:

7. Ricky Caboverde

Ricky Caboverde Supporting Member

Feb 26, 2004
    Miami, FL
    If I may, consider using JR345 from Thomastik Infeld. My 4 stringer is setup BEAD. The strings have almost the same diameter and tension as a regular EADG setup. TI strings have excellent balance across all the strings.

8. I was a 135 on my SX 5er and I like it alot, I also use a 105 e string. feel very natural to me.