Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

BEAD tuning string gauges?

Discussion in 'Strings [BG]' started by bassdr, Aug 3, 2002.

1. I have a Peavey Cirrus 4 that I'm going to string BEAD. What gauge strings should I use? My luthier is going to dremel the nut to accomodate a larger string but the bridge will be the limiting factor on how big a string we can use.

Does anyone tune BEAD and do you use light 5's or heavy 4's? The lightest 5 sets have a .120 B, and the heaviest 4 sets seems to be about .110 on the big string.

2. jasonbraatz

jasonbraatz

Oct 18, 2000
    Oakland, CA
    the best thing to do would probably be to buy a set of normal 5 string strings (i.e. if you normally play medium-heavy DR 4 string, get the medium-heavy DR 5 set) and just keep the G for other basses. this way the feel will be consistant.

one other word of advice - have a NEW nut made instead of your old one machined. that way if you want to put it back to EADG you can in a matter of minutes.

3. A little follow-up. I ordered Ken Smith taper customs 120-45 and with these they fit great at the bridge (due to the taper there). Also had to do very little dremel work on the nut. The 4 strings still fit fine. It sounds great. Taper strings are the key.