BEAD tuning string gauges?

Discussion in 'Strings [BG]' started by bassdr, Aug 3, 2002.

1. I have a Peavey Cirrus 4 that I'm going to string BEAD. What gauge strings should I use? My luthier is going to dremel the nut to accomodate a larger string but the bridge will be the limiting factor on how big a string we can use.

Does anyone tune BEAD and do you use light 5's or heavy 4's? The lightest 5 sets have a .120 B, and the heaviest 4 sets seems to be about .110 on the big string.
  2. jasonbraatz

Oct 18, 2000
    Oakland, CA
    the best thing to do would probably be to buy a set of normal 5 string strings (i.e. if you normally play medium-heavy DR 4 string, get the medium-heavy DR 5 set) and just keep the G for other basses. this way the feel will be consistant.

one other word of advice - have a NEW nut made instead of your old one machined. that way if you want to put it back to EADG you can in a matter of minutes.
  3. A little follow-up. I ordered Ken Smith taper customs 120-45 and with these they fit great at the bridge (due to the taper there). Also had to do very little dremel work on the nut. The 4 strings still fit fine. It sounds great. Taper strings are the key.