Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

BEAD vs. EADG

Discussion in 'Hardware, Setup & Repair [BG]' started by Mild Side, Apr 9, 2001.

1. Mild Side

Mild Side

Apr 9, 2001
    Anyone out there use 5-string strings on their 4-string bass?

Thanks

MS

2. CrawlingEye

CrawlingEye Member

Mar 20, 2001
    Easton, Pennsylvania
    How would you put 5 strings on 4 tuners?

On a more realistic note, there's a bass that's meant to be played like that, it's the Schecter Scorpion.

3. Mild Side

Mild Side

Apr 9, 2001
    LOL

I mean, putting on a low-B, and moving E A & D up one.

I'm wondering if people out there do this, and if the extra tension is a problem for the instrument.

using the G to hand mobile art from my ceiling, or something.......

MS

4. Luis Fabara

Luis Fabara

Aug 13, 2000
    Ecuador (South America)
    Audio Pro - Ecuador
    Yeah, many people do that, so try it.
    You just need to do a good setup for it to play well.
    Many Thrash/Speed/Metal Bass players do that.

5. CrawlingEye

CrawlingEye Member

Mar 20, 2001
    Easton, Pennsylvania
    I know, I was foolin' around.

The Schecter Scorpion is made to be a 4 string that's tuned like that. It's a 35" bass.

6. DaveB

DaveB

Mar 29, 2000
    Toronto Ontario
    When I went 5 string I found that my beloved '75 Precision wasn't getting much use anymore. As an experiment I strung it BEAD and much to my surprise it worked great without getting a new nut (although I may still do that).The action is a little higher but the intonation is still good - with some tweaking in the setup including a slight truss rod adjustment. I use the B string more than the G string so its not a bad trade-off. It still isn't as good as having a fiver but it's a reasonable alternative. If you want to go five string deep without buying a 5 string you might want to try this.
    I now take my BEAD P to about one out of five gigs.It's not my Roscoe Beck but its pretty good.

7. I have 5 string strings on my old ibanez 4, but I don't have it tuned to B (It was a bit too floppy still) its tuned to DGCF

8. neptoon

neptoon

Jul 25, 2000
    summerville, sc
    :D actually, the heavier guage strings exert LESS tension on the neck...you'll just have to get your truss rod adjusted for the difference in tension on the neck, and of course, your bridge for intonation. you may have to have your nut cut as well if they strings don't seat properly. just take it to a shop and have a pro do it. they'll hook you right up! as far as damaging your bass, i wouldn't worry about it. it's no biggy.

9. I would never advise cutting your own nuts - have a professional do it! (teehee)

10. I think that setup would be good for people who use the low-b like the E-string(does that make sense?) If you find yourself using a pick(or not) to double the rythm guitar part, use their tuning and go from there. But if you are going up and down the neck alot than a 5 is better for speed and hand ease(i dont have a 5 yet but i play the same warwick fna over and over again at GC so much that i feel like i own it!)I hope that helped, cause i tried it and i just pick days to play things in E and days to play things in B and switch strings.

11. Mild Side

Mild Side

Apr 9, 2001
    Thanks, everyone.

I'm not a very experienced musician, so I don't know how to say this in music-language, but my reason for wanting a B string is to get "under" the guitar riffs that my friend is playing.....dropped D wasn't getting me there, and I never use the G for much anyway (although I will miss hitting an octave quick and dirty from the A now and then...sigh).

Maybe a five string is the answer, but $$$ is always the problem.

MS

12. I do, exclusively. I play in a band that does hardcore/metal/thrash, and we actually do use our low B like an E, the B's the main string, not just to accentuate the other strings. Plus I sing also, and I find it easier to play on a 4 than on a 5 because the G string would just be unneeded space.

13. I recently did this however I've just gone back to EADG because I couldn't really get the right settings. I didn't adjust my truss rod so I'm not sure if that had something to do with it. Each string had lots of fret buzz even when I set the action quite high which I don't like.

Having said this, I found the low B to my liking in terms of having a lower than usual notes to play with. I'm considering a 5 string in the future.

14. CrawlingEye

CrawlingEye Member

Mar 20, 2001
    Easton, Pennsylvania
    I usually use my a string more than anything... I don't really see the point in tuning down... but hey, that's me...

15. RockFiend

RockFiend

Aug 23, 2000
    the G string can be your friend, don't put him down, abuse him, and call him names, he doesn't deserve that, he's great for octaves and funk styling, so next time you see a lonely G give him a pluck and a slap and let him know you care, that's all i ask...

16. G-strings are for strippers :D

17. adamaarts

adamaarts Supporting Member

Apr 19, 2001
    Corona, CA
    Beta tester Source Audio, demos/reviews of many others
    For those who want a low end of a 5, really, get a 4 string with bead tuning. 5 strings are a hassle to play if you started playing on a 4. if you really need both the g and the b then go for it, but trust me, its a hassle.

but personally i have 3 basses
    - carlo robelli 4 (EADG)
    - carlo robelli 4 (BEAD)
    - friend made 5 (BEADG)
    i only use the detuned 4 for my rock songs, but for funk i use the 5 or the standard 4. i really hate using the 5 but for some of my songs i just need it

but money for some can be a problem, but i actually only bought one of my basses, the other two were gifts and trades.

18. trainyourhuman

trainyourhuman Supporting Member

Apr 12, 2000
    MI
    I currently have 3 basses that are all tuned differently.

Fender MIM Jazz tuned EADG (fretless)
    80s Fender Precision tuned BEAD
    Cavin kit bass tuned ADGC

I have found that I still use the jazz fretless the most, but the detuned precision is a close second. It was suprising to me that the precision could take to the lowered tuning so well. However, I am solving the problem of 3 differently tuned basses by getting a 6. I think that I just might leave the precision be though...

19. embellisher

embellisher Holy Ghost filled Bass Player Staff Member Supporting Member

Why is it a hassle?

I started on 4, but now play 5 and 6 as well, no problem switching back and forth between them.

20. BassistJ

BassistJ

Mar 20, 2001
    Hemet, CA USA
    Hope this ain't blasphomy, but I've always liked tuning my bass to ADGC. :D