BEAD, Warwick, & who needs G-strings

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Joe Nerve, Jan 8, 2005.

1. Joe Nerve

Joe Nerve Supporting Member

Oct 7, 2000
    New York City
    Endorsing artist: Musicman basses, Hipshot products
    One of the bands I play in requires a 5 string. After getting my 4 string Bongo last week I can't handle the thought of using my Cort 5 anymore for this particular gig. I considered selling all my basses and buying another Bongo - but there's something about my Warwick that won't let me sell it. I really think it's special. Doesn't feel like any other Warwick I've ever owned or played. HA HA, NA, NA - I got the best Warwick in the world!!! Anyhow - got the brainstorm of putting it to use once more since I never play it. Called Dana B. and they were happy get a B string just a nut pole piece in the mail for me.

Anyone ever do this with their Warwick?

How many of ya'll string whatever bass you've got BEAD? How necessary is a G string? Anything up to the 12th fret can easily be played on the D string, and I rarely (if ever) go past the 12 fret on the G.
  2. Trevorus

Oct 18, 2002
    Urbana, IL
    You'll be fine with BEAD. If you don't like it, then find a way to make the Cort better, or get a different 5. An SX can be made pretty cool, as well. Leave the G-strings to the girls.
  3. frigo

frigo burn in hell!

Dec 8, 2003
    I always hated 5 sringers, and i strung up my gibson t-bird and my hohner BEAD to play in a tool-like band. I never experienced any problem, of course you have to set the truss rod because the B string pulls less than the G and the B string oscillates a lil more and can land up hitting the frets. Anyway no problems with the sound... they sound defn'ly much more better than my ibanez ATK305
  4. phxlbrmpf

Dec 27, 2002
    BEAD tuning is decent if you're in a heavy rock band, I've strung my ATK BEAD for a couple of years. Of course, if you want to play along to Stanley Clarke albums in BEAD tuning, you've got a problem. :D

I don't have a problem with fivers, I'm getting a bit into tapping at the moment and I must say having an extra string makes things a lot easier.
  5. ShamrayBass

ShamrayBass The Bass Custom Shop

Dec 29, 2004
    Moscow. RUSSIA
    Back in the 80's i built myself a custom headless 4-string, especially designed for BEAD.

But i was doing a lot of session work at the time, and it turned out to be the nicest sounding bass i owned, so i wimped out and changed it over to EADG (so i didnt have to transpose stuff in my head)

I am sure that if i had just played it for a week i would have got used to it (i can play a 5-string just fine, now...)
  6. I had my rock bass strung BEAD and it was fine.......I'm gonna do a propper job and have the nut filed and everything(it's an old rockbass, before they had just-a-nuts).
  7. kingbrutis

Aug 10, 2003
    Phoenix AZ
    NIce line. I'm about to do the same with my bass. BTW, I havn't found a warwick I liked at all. The bongo is another story. If I had the $$$. Later Joe
  8. HeavyDuty

HeavyDuty Supporting Curmudgeon Staff Member Gold Supporting Member

Jun 26, 2000
    Suburban Chicago, IL
    Joe, I'm going through a similar process for a different reason.

I have a touch of arthritis, and have started on five strings as a way of reducing reach and finger span. My Sterling will stay EADG, but I have a few other fours I really don't want to get rid of and am considering stringing BEAD - my Warwick FNA and my Steinberger XM2A.

I've usually avoided the G anyway - IMO most basses have a really twangy G, even with heavy flats.

I'll be interested to see how your project works out.
  9. Joe Nerve

Joe Nerve Supporting Member

Oct 7, 2000
    New York City
    Endorsing artist: Musicman basses, Hipshot products
    I'll post my progress. There's something about a 5 string that just doesn't gel with me. Could be because I haven't found the right bass yet - I'm real picky... but, I don't know. I am one of those people who think anything more than 4 is an ego thing and totally unneccesary. I don't really care what anyone else does. I'm not in anyone elses head. That's the way it feels to me. Some people paint in acrylics some in oil.

The more I watch what I play the more I begin to wonder why the bass wasn't originally strung BEAD. I think I'd actually use a low B a hell of a lot more than I use the G - but I guess I'll see once I start going at it. I use the G basically for octaves on the A string, but all I'd have to do is move them down a bit and do the octaves from the E to D string. No Nerve songs go beyone a high G on my bass, and the only song I play in the cover band that goes past that is Aeroplane. Maybe a couple of other Chili pepper songs also... but I ain't using it for my cover band. So there! :spit:

I don't like G strings on women either. I prefer the old fashioned panties. Much sexier in my opinion.