Discussion in 'Ask Mike Watt [Archived]' started by brillo13, Apr 13, 2002.

1. brillo13

Apr 13, 2002
    A couple questions. I read somewhere that Watt played this bass (I think it was a Fender telecaster bass or something) and He added this mama of a bridge called a Bearclaw. The thing looked huge and heavy and I'm wondering where the hell you can get this thing, if you can at all. I have a jazz bass that has the normal fender bridge on it and I would like something heavier. Also I started reading this book called "Our Band Could Be Your Life" by a Michael Azerrad and I wondered if anybody read it and what they think. Thanx.
  2. Hey
    The bridge was a Fender product called "The Claw." Watt described it in a 1990s Guitar World article as "A real boat anchor." The only other person I've seen using was was Kim Gordao waaaay back in the mid-80s. I saw one for sale once but failed to grab it.
    Badass bridges are pretty massive and widely available. There's a lower-profile version called the Badass II but the original is a real whopper. It made my Gibson bass sound good. 'Nuff said.
    I have that book it cover-to-cover then lent it to a pal attending Oberlin College in Ohio. My favorite chapter is the Butthole Surfers bit...crazy friggin' Texans.
    OK. Good luck,