Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

bearclaw

Discussion in 'Ask Mike Watt [Archived]' started by brillo13, Apr 13, 2002.

1. brillo13

brillo13

Apr 13, 2002
    Hello,
    A couple questions. I read somewhere that Watt played this bass (I think it was a Fender telecaster bass or something) and He added this mama of a bridge called a Bearclaw. The thing looked huge and heavy and I'm wondering where the hell you can get this thing, if you can at all. I have a jazz bass that has the normal fender bridge on it and I would like something heavier. Also I started reading this book called "Our Band Could Be Your Life" by a Michael Azerrad and I wondered if anybody read it and what they think. Thanx.

2. Hey
    The bridge was a Fender product called "The Claw." Watt described it in a 1990s Guitar World article as "A real boat anchor." The only other person I've seen using was was Kim Gordao waaaay back in the mid-80s. I saw one for sale once but failed to grab it.
    Badass bridges are pretty massive and widely available. There's a lower-profile version called the Badass II but the original is a real whopper. It made my Gibson bass sound good. 'Nuff said.
    I have that book too...read it cover-to-cover then lent it to a pal attending Oberlin College in Ohio. My favorite chapter is the Butthole Surfers bit...crazy friggin' Texans.
    OK. Good luck,
    KFS