Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Beard pain

Discussion in 'Off Topic [BG]' started by Peter Squire, Mar 27, 2005.

1. Hi

I had a cuppla weeks off, and in my job, we have to be clean shaven.

So, with holidays, i thought i'd grow a beard! i got three day left of my two weeks without shaving, and I couldn't stand it anymore - it actually was painful!!!

My beard was painful! Why?? Any guesses?

2. Perfect-Tommy

Perfect-Tommy

Mar 28, 2004
    Ohio
    because you're not a real man? :D

The onlytime my beard hurts is when it gets caught in stuff, like my hemp necklace... :crying:

3. I had this happen to me a couple of times when I grew my facial hair out (I have to be clean shaven too). The only guess that I can wager, is that possibly, growing facial hair, when you normally have none, causes severe chaffing. That's the only reason I can think of.

4. Perfect-Tommy

Perfect-Tommy

Mar 28, 2004
    Ohio
    It's kind of funny cause my face actually hurts when I don't have facial hair :p

5. Yeah, your face hurts me too.

:D

6. embellisher

embellisher Holy Ghost filled Bass Player Staff Member Supporting Member

Stop licking your nipple.

7. Jealous? :p

Leigh

8. Trevorus

Trevorus

Oct 18, 2002
    Urbana, IL
    Could have been a slightly ingrown hair. I get those every so often, but usually on my leg.

9. Nick man

Nick man

Apr 7, 2002
    Tampa Bay
    Some people* arent supposed to have beards, and are therefore, not cool.

*everyone who is not me.

10. Munjibunga

Munjibunga Total Hyper-Elite Member Gold Supporting Member

May 6, 2000
    San Diego (when not at Groom Lake)
    Independent Contractor to Bass San Diego
    As the beard hairs grow out, they curl. When they reach a certain length, the ends start to irritate your skin (usually at about 2 weeks). If you wait another week, they curl past this point, become softer, and don't irritate you. I wore a full beard for 13 years, and every time I cut it off and grew it back, the second week was the worst. I've had my Van Dyke for about four or five years now, no prob.

p.s. [butthead] hhhhhhhhheheh heh heh hehhhhh ... he said ... Dyke ... hhhheheheheh heheheheheh heh heh hhhhhheh[/butthead]

11. Adam Barkley

Adam Barkley Mayday!

Aug 26, 2003
    Jackson, MS
    It bothered me also when I tried growing a beard. But sideburns never gave me trouble, but they are gone also.

That said, how feasible is it to shave (yourself) with a straight razor? Expensive? I love getting a braber shop shave and usually get one when I get a haircut, but those are almost bi-monthly for me.

12. Brendan

Brendan

Jun 18, 2000
    Austin, TX
    ...Nick, you realize you're always going to be distant second to the Beardlocks of Doom, right?

13. Basshole

Basshole Banned

Jan 28, 2005
    It's not about the hair curling, although it does tend to go away after it grows out a bit more - it actually hurts at the roots of the hairs!

I get this as well, when the hairs get to be about 3/8" long.

I think it's perhaps just because of the pressure on the hairs laterally, seems to irritate the roots (probably when you sleep, against your pillow). Scrub it with a brush, and some good moisturizing shampoo in the shower to soften it...that seems to help a little.

I dunno...I just know the chit hurts, and I get it too.

It's kinda like how sometimes yer pubes can hurt when you wear too-tight pants (and folks, don't anyone dare give me crap about this here - this is a musician's forum, I can't be the only one that's ever worn tight pants).

Hair sucks, the older I get, the more I have. I feel like a fuggin' sasquatch anymore. Girls have it easier in this dept.

:meh:

14. xyllion

xyllion Commercial User

Jan 14, 2003
    San Jose, CA, USA
    Owner, Looperlative Audio Products
    Kids these days. I've had a beard since my mid 20's and never complained about it. I've shaved it off a few times, but I've always let it grow right back. We are men. We are supposed to have hair everywhere. Anyone want to see my nose and ear hairs?

15. Nick man

Nick man

Apr 7, 2002
    Tampa Bay
    I seem to recall hearing about a certain unamed individual getting a going away shaving from some certain group of friends.

16. Nick man

Nick man

Apr 7, 2002
    Tampa Bay
    Beards are all about manly-manliness, not wussy-wussiness!

moisturizing shampoo is very unbeardly.

17. Brendan

Brendan

Jun 18, 2000
    Austin, TX
    This is true, however, previous status still holds.

18. For a second there I thought the author of this thread was stephdawe04...

:meh:

19. xyllion

xyllion Commercial User

Jan 14, 2003
    San Jose, CA, USA
    Owner, Looperlative Audio Products
    The manly solution to this problem is to go down to the local bar, drink lot's of beer, and pick a fight with someone in the bar. The next day you won't care how your beard feels.

20. RLT

RLT

Jul 10, 2004
    South Central OH
    I have the opposite reaction. When I shave I break out with oozing pustles of nastiness. Several allergies to metals and soaps combined to force me to wear a beard for the past 20 odd years.

Rusty