1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  
  2. Welcome Back!  Please see this thread for more info about the site outage.  Thank you for your patience as we work out bugs and tweak server configs.

Beardly Customs Block Inlays!!

Discussion in 'Luthier's Corner' started by rick0link, Jan 22, 2020.

1. rick0link

rick0link Commercial User

May 22, 2010
    Washington, Pennsylvania USA
    Beardly Customs
    33B0BC59-271C-490A-92CF-DABFFD114EB2.jpeg B57D75FD-B85D-4554-AC5A-B9449E6B7C2E.jpeg I finally got around to figuring out how to do block inlays the correct way. Not too bad for my first attempt. The inlays are sequenced walnut inlayed in a 36” scale marblewood fretboard. Thanks to Shawn May for the help!

2. Gilmourisgod

Gilmourisgod

Jun 23, 2014
    Cape Cod MA
    So what’s your process? Any photos of the work in progress? I’ve done Ric style shark fin inlays on two builds. They weren’t easy, but since they are full-width, I just had to cut straight lines across the whole board. I imagine accurately cutting “islands” like traditional blocks is more difficult?

Last edited: Jan 22, 2020
    rick0link likes this.
  3. rick0link

May 22, 2010
    Beardly Customs
    i have a template that’s sized for 34” scale, but it can be used for other scales. I just drew an corner to corner X on each position and centered the template over it. I used a 1/16” router bit with a 1/2” bearing. I used a caliper to measure each inlay route and cut that size piece from the inlay material. A little sanding to correctly size it and the glued it in. Tedious work, but totally worth it.

Gilmourisgod, Jisch and Beej like this.
  4. Did you buy or make the template? I would like to own one. Link if purchased?

rick0link likes this.
  5. rick0link

May 22, 2010
    Beardly Customs
    i bought my template off of another luthier.

6. dwizum

dwizum Supporting Member

Dec 21, 2018
    Were you cutting the inlays for an exact fit, or a loose fit that you then backfilled?

7. Gilmourisgod

Gilmourisgod

Jun 23, 2014
    Cape Cod MA
    I assume the template left rounded corners that had to be chiseled square? I think I’ve seen plastic block inlay templates on eBay a while back, but they wouldn’t be too hard to make. The trick is having a template perfectly matched to a set of off the shelf block inlays, otherwise you are cutting your own and hand fitting them.

Here’s a Les Paul inlay template, somebody must make one for Fender Jazz.

https://www.ebay.ie/sch/sis.html?_itemId=321204663866&_nkw=Block+Inlays+and+24+75+Fret+Scale+Template&_mPrRngCbx=1

Last edited: Jan 23, 2020
  8. rick0link

May 22, 2010
    Beardly Customs
    As exact as i could get. I didn’t chisel the corners of the inlay this time, rather i rounded the corners of the inlays for as close to an exact fit as i could. There are a few small spots that i filled with superglue.

9. rick0link

May 22, 2010
    Beardly Customs
    You assumed right.

Gilmourisgod likes this.
  10. Beej

Beej

Feb 10, 2007
    Vancouver Island
    rick0link likes this.
  11. Paulabass

Paulabass

Sep 18, 2017
    Nice work. I haven't tackled blocks yet. Maybe next build.

rick0link likes this.
  12. rick0link

May 22, 2010
    Beardly Customs
    Here is the body this neck belongs to. It’s a repair job for my personal 5 string. The original walnut neck developed a major, unrepairable, twist and had to be cut out.

Attached Files:

Beej and Gilmourisgod like this.
  13. Slidlow

Slidlow Supporting Member

Apr 15, 2009
    Oshawa, Canada
    You mean "irreparable" right?

rick0link likes this.
  14. rick0link

May 22, 2010
    Beardly Customs
    Good catch. Haha

Beej likes this.
  15. rick0link

May 22, 2010
    Beardly Customs
    Headstock mapped out.

Attached Files:

Beej and Matt Liebenau like this.
  16. rick0link

May 22, 2010
    Beardly Customs
    I resurrected my old Beardly 5 string today. The original neck was a junk piece of walnut that twisted badly and couldn’t be fixed, so i cut it out and made a new one from a nice piece of katalox. It’s now a fretless bass with a marblewood fingerboard and figured walnut blocks. And yes, it was originally a dual pickup bass, Now it only has one, hence the filler blocks where the old middle pickup was. It has a 36” scale and a single Nordstrand Big Splitman humbucker. 1372A812-2EDB-4492-BDA9-8AE07A99E7AF.jpeg 9ECDA95D-92D5-4B6B-8F05-0A2236114569.jpeg F7BB6F5C-49A9-427A-8029-4B25C33ACA94.jpeg BB037678-0611-445E-AB82-DD5F26D65814.jpeg E0E66806-7194-4520-BD3B-EB3BDE895D6B.jpeg 122140A4-F1C5-4395-8C1A-C567AB3C1A94.jpeg

Attached Files:

turindev, Matt Liebenau and Beej like this.
  17. Beej

Beej

Feb 10, 2007
    Vancouver Island
    Nice! Lots of neat little details in that one. :thumbsup:

rick0link likes this.
  18. turindev

turindev Commercial User

Jul 1, 2005
    Sarasota, FL USA
    Builder, m7bassworks.com
    Man I really like the way the scarf joint changes from Katalox to .. maple?. Seems counter-intuitive, but I think its beautiful. Awesome work!

Beej and rick0link like this.
  19. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Apr 12, 2021