1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

BearFoot FX BlueBerry Bass Overdrive - Quick Tone knob question

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by moishelichtfuss, Apr 15, 2015.

1. Hi all,

I received said pedal in the mail today and was wondering if it's normal that the overdrive increases quite significantly, if you turn the Tone knob below 9 o'clock (without changing the Gain knob)?
    It's nothing that really bothers me, I'm merely curious since I never encountered an Overdrive behaving like that.

2. I've not used one yet, but just thinking out loud...if the tone control is cut and boost and it's placed before the drive section then yes that is to be expected.
    A lot of overdrive tone knob is a simple treble cut (ie a vintage knob) and don't make a lot of difference. If it's adding (ie a treble boost) then yes it will buffer the gain and add more hair.

3. johnk_10

johnk_10 vintage bass nut Supporting Member Commercial User

Feb 16, 2008
    Thousand Oaks, CA
    John K Custom Basses
    yep. both the bearfoot and the original BJFE's tone control do that.

4. dannybuoy

dannybuoy

Aug 3, 2005
    England
    In general I prefer the EQ to be after the drive section - for example it's difficult to use the bass boost of the SFT without it getting too mushy, but on the BB Preamp you can dial in a massive bass boost that doesn't affect the nature of the distortion.

I do like how it's implemented on the Blueberry though, turning it down low makes it Motown in a box, and turning up the gain from there it can get pretty heavy.

5. Indeed...I thought so. And you can also actually hear it in this video (around 5:00-5:10, when he's dialing back the tone).

And I think I do like it, too. (Next step in the long chain of overdrives from VT Bass > Vintage Microtubes > Fairfield Barbershop > Solidgold Beta and now this…they got better – for my personal taste – each time)

6. Jared Lash

Jared Lash Born under punches

Aug 21, 2006
    Denver, CO
    Yeah, that's normal. It's a bit of a quirk, but given how interactive the drive and tone controls are I assume it's part of the magic that makes the BBBOD (IMO) such a great overdrive for bass.

The Blueberry actually works the other way around. Lowering the tone knob seems to add bass which makes the output louder. I'm not exactly sure what the tone knob is doing but it certainly doesn't seem like a typical tone control with a capacitor allowing treble content to go to the ground. Maybe a tilt EQ?

Yep. What is the tone control on the BBBOD actually doing John?

Last edited: Nov 13, 2015
  7. that would be a tilt control then...bass boost and treble cut one way and bass cut and treble boost the other. It's a novel idea as a concept and it'generally works well as long as the frequency center is right and the amount of boost and cut is right too. One knob has quite a wide control of the tone but is best to avoid excesses.

8. Jared Lash

Aug 21, 2006
    Denver, CO
    That's certainly my guess. If so, the center frequency was well chosen and/or the boost & cut not too severe because (at least to me) even when dimed on the treble side it doesn't seem to lose low end or seem overly scooped.

9. A 2 band EQ is more flexible, you can effect the mids by subtracting or adding both bass and treble. A tilt control has no effect on mids. But for over all "one knob" control it's generally the best there is.

10. father of fires

father of fires Commercial User

Nov 29, 2006
    BALTIMORE CITY
    Chief of Medicine at Damnation Audio
    The tone knob adusts the EQ of the gain stage in one direction and then the EQ of a post-drive boost stage in the other direction.

It's not a typical tone control. It's quite ingenious really.

11. Mosfed

Mosfed

Apr 21, 2013
    Chamonix Mont-Blanc
    Partner - CCP Pedals
    Love the Blueberry. Love the tone control. Very cool design once you play with it a little and get used to it.

DirtyDuke likes this.
  12. tink9975

tink9975

Aug 10, 2006
    MoCo, MD
    my dark driving works the same way, I was never sure if it was a bug or a feature

13. All very interesting. That explains why I was a little confused at first, because I was expecting the usual "Tone" control. Only noticed later that the know hasn't even got a name. :)

14. bringitlow

bringitlow

Jun 19, 2009
    San Diego
    I just got this pedal based on the positive reviews here on Talkbass and while I like how it sounds, I'm having somewhat of a hard time finding the sweet spot.

It seems that even at noon on the nature knob this pedal cuts highs. To get the high end to come back, I turn the nature knob clockwise but it seems this guts out a lot of my low end.
    I've tried to run the drive and level higher to compensate, but this just seems to over compress the signal.

Where do you guys usually run the nature knob in relation to drive/ level? I'm looking for the most transparent sound possible.

I'm running at 9v, would running at 12v make a difference?

Thanks in advance for the help!

15. mmbongo

mmbongo Five Time World Champion Supporting Member

Aug 5, 2009
    Carolinas

Nature knob? You don't have a Mad Professor Blueberry do you?

16. bringitlow

bringitlow

Jun 19, 2009
    San Diego
    I'm pretty sure it's a Bearfoot.
    It sounds so different than all the demos I've seen here and on Youtube though.
    Here's a pic of it:

Attached Files:

17. mmbongo

mmbongo Five Time World Champion Supporting Member

Aug 5, 2009
    Carolinas
    Yeah looks like a Bearfoot, that's the only one I've ever seen with a 'nature' knob! I thought only the Mad Professor version had the nature knob...learn something everyday :)

18. Dave W

Dave W

Mar 1, 2007
    White Plains
    Mine has a nature knob too

19. Jared Lash

Aug 21, 2006
    Denver, CO
    That's interesting, my old BJFE Blueberry's knob was labeled Tone though I've also seen some that Bjorn made where it was labeled Treble.

I don't think the Blueberry is designed for 12 V and I doubt it would give more headroom or transparency.

I haven't tried the Bearfoot version but in my experience the BBBOD just isn't a very transparent dirt pedal. It is grunty and dark with a specific character. Personally I love it but for many people it has been too "muddy" or "colored".

For me it's about as transparent as it can be with the tone knob around 2 o'clock and the gain around 11-1 o'clock.

20. bringitlow

bringitlow

Jun 19, 2009
    San Diego
    Thanks for the responses. On the site it says the pedal can run from 5v-15v, but that it's designed for 9v operation. I had the chance to try it at 12v last night and it didn't sound much different. A little more headroom, but that's all.

After some tweaking with the nature knob, I was able to make the pedal sound more transparent. Thanks for the tip- 2 o'clock really seems to be the sweet spot. At that setting though, I still am losing quite a bit of low end oomph with the volume and drive at 11-12 o'clock. Low end loss isn't something I've ever seen discussed with this pedal here on TB but nevertheless I still like the overall sound of the pedal.

Maybe I should try a clean blend or boosting the bass EQ at the amp.