Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Beastie Boys playing their instruments?

Discussion in 'Recordings [BG]' started by IAMERICCOCHRANE, Mar 11, 2004.

1. I remember hearing awhile ago that the Beastie boys have a CD of them playing their instruments, and that they were really good too. Does anyone know what CD this is? Thanks.

2. BustinJustin

BustinJustin banned

Sep 12, 2003
    NYC, LI too
    I believe it's "The in sound from way out".

the Beasties are innovators... no doubt!

in addition there are some hadrcore/punk albums they've done.....

"wic wic wack"

3. BustinJustin

BustinJustin banned

Sep 12, 2003
    NYC, LI too
    GREAT ALBUM!!!!! also "Paul's Boutique" great example of the B-Boys musicanship!

4. SuperDuck

SuperDuck

Sep 26, 2000
    Wisconsin
    I know they played intsruments on several tracks of "Ill Communication"- one of them was an upright bass. I've seen them do live spots on various TV shows, and they played bass, drums and keyboards with (I believe) Elvis Costello. They were all pretty good at their respective instruments.

5. BustinJustin

BustinJustin banned

Sep 12, 2003
    NYC, LI too
    ok, on a limb here... but....

Lucious Jackson is also in this catagory... kinda sorta.... soooo if your a fan of the BBoy instrumentals, you'll also enjoy Lj.

6. Yes, it's The In Sound From Way Out.

Paul's Boutique is my favorite.

7. Wrong Robot

Wrong Robot Guest

Apr 8, 2002
    Paul's boutique is my favorite album of theirs as well.

As far as them playing their instruments, they have done so in just about every album, at least a little bit, and even when they don't the level of proficiency they show with 3-way rapping is astounding in itself.

The dust brothers produced paul's boutique, it's one of my favorite rap albums of all time.

but yeah, as others have mentioned, their early stuff is a lot of punk and hardcore stuff. I believe they also played some cuts from hello nasty too. But I could be mistaken, I haven't heard that album in a long time.