Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

beat up basses

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by eur74, Oct 27, 2003.

1. eur74

eur74 Guest

Oct 27, 2003
    i want my bass to look old, i dont really know why, but i feel more comfterble playing with a beat up bass. i was wondering if theres any easy ways to beat up your bass...any way to take the paint off and expose some of the wood. thanks.

2. You mean like the Fender "Relic" basses?

[​IMG]
    Treena

3. eur74

eur74 Guest

Oct 27, 2003
    yeah....i want it to look worn.

4. You could take off the pickups...well all parts and the neck and beat it up!

Then put it back together!

[​IMG]
    Treena

5. Why not just buy a bass that's already beat up? I did, cost me 10 €, and about 60-70€ in repairs to get it in full working order. I don't like the idea of trashing a nice bass just to get the "used" look and feel...

6. Fender has the Relic Jaco Jazz bass and it goes for about $2759.00 us dollars.

So you aren't the first to like the beat up look!
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]
    Treena

7. TRU

TRU

Apr 12, 2002
    Northern Europe
    I once bought a badly beaten up jazz bass copy that looked worse than the "bass of doom". I refinished it which I regret.

Beaten up is ok if the dents are real battle scars. Faking it is just that... faking :)

8. JerryH

JerryH

Dec 13, 1999
    Helsinki, Finland
    Right!

I have had this same obsession, but now with my 1965 Precision it is over. The bass is nicely worn all over the neck and body - very nice.

9. very true.

if you want it to look beaten, itd be best to eithe rbuy a second hand bass, or just a bass that you want, and don't baby it ;)

10. Jerry that's a sweet looking P bass and I love the original wear!

[​IMG]
    Treena

11. JerryH

JerryH

Dec 13, 1999
    Helsinki, Finland
    I like the original play wear cause it just feels better. The neck is well worn and feels just right.

The factory finish feels a bit cold and does not have that "broken-in" feeling. Anyways I am more keen on using old-school-stuff than the brand new high-end thingies. Also the more you play your instrument the more it becomes like an extension to you and feels more natural with all the dings and chips and wear ...

Oh, by the way, drop the idea of using SANDPAPER clothes and gloves!

12. eur74

eur74 Guest

Oct 27, 2003
    excellent. the sandpaper works well. i tried it on my second bass, i left the one i wanted to beat up at my bands practice space downtown, and dont feel like driving for 30 minutes at 4 am. thanks.

13. Me too!

I have a couple of high end thingies but am more comfortable on my Fenders!

[​IMG]
    Treena