Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Beat-up Ibanez SR406. How much is it worth?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Diewos, Mar 24, 2005.

1. Diewos

Diewos

Feb 27, 2003
    WI
    Cliff notes at the bottom for those of you who are impatient.

So I was browsing through my local music store the other day and I saw what I think is an Ibanez SR406 with EMG pickups. Upon closer inspection the thing is in pretty bad shape. It was dropped at some point and the finish on the edge near the bridge is not just chipped, but shattered. It looks like the whole bass would have to be refinished to fix it. Also, one of the volume knobs looks like it was sheared off, probably in the same fall. Now to top it all off, I picked up the bass and plugged it in. Nothing. I'm not sure if it doesn't play because the volume control was all the way down when it was sheared off, or if there was something else wrong with it. Now, get this. The price tag on it said $525. For a bass that doesn't even play. So I put it down and left.

Of course when I got home, I started to think $525 would be about right for that bass without the damage. Maybe the bass was dropped after they got it in the store and they never changed the price tag. I started thinking that maybe I could get this thing cheap and either fix the damage or steal the pickups out of it. Anyway, if I go back in there, how far should I try to talk the price down?

Thanks in advance.

Cliff Notes
    -Ibanez SR406 w/ EMG pups
    -big crack in the finish, sheared off volume knob, no output.
    -How much is it worth?

2. Figjam

Figjam

Aug 5, 2003
    Boston, MA
    Like $100-$150 :rolleyes:

3. I saw the sr406 BRAND NEW for $700 CAD here in Canada.

$525 USD for a used one, in bad condition? ummm.... No.

but that's just me

4. Yeah, SR406s can be had for that brand new. I used to have a 5 string version. Sounded good and was fairly light weight. Liked having the 3 band eq.

As for that one, Ill pass.

Edit: I actually dont think they make the SR400 series anymore. I think they replaced it with the SR 500 basses.

5. tplyons

tplyons

Apr 6, 2003
    Madison, NJ
    It's an old model. I got my 4 string for $375 new and probably couldn't pass it for $225 in great condition. The SR406 would probably fetch $300 in good shape IMO, and I'd love to get my mitts on one. Only your store is charging twice as much as I'd pay.

6. fourstringdrums

fourstringdrums Decidedly Indecisive Supporting Member

Oct 20, 2002
    San Antonio
    If it's in that bad of condition, I'd say no more than $100. I had an SR400 in fairly good condition that I sold for $180 I think.