1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Beat up Ibby project

Discussion in 'Luthier's Corner' started by bassman0221, Jan 24, 2012.

1. bassman0221

bassman0221

Sep 30, 2009
    Richmond VA
    I have an old EX Series Ibanez bass, probably from the late 80's/early 90's. It was candy apple red color, PJ configuration, rosewood fretted neck, and a whole lot of dings.

What I am doing:
    Neck-De-fretting using rosewood veneer to fill the gaps, reshaping headstock, and applying oil to the headstock.

Body-Slight reshaping of the horns to get rid of the metal look, sanded down to the wood to remove blemish's. I will be putting the old EMG active pups back in.

I want to finish the body with tobacco brown stain (STEWMAC.COM : ColorTone Liquid Stains) and maybe an amber tint?

I have ordered the stain, a 9.5" radius block for the neck and rosewood veneer.

I will post 2 pictures I took with my cell phone last night, the rest I will take with my camera ha.

2. RobertUI

RobertUI Thumper Supporting Member

Apr 7, 2005
    Herndon, VA - NoVa
    Nice start, and this sounds like a great plan. I've got a bass in the same series, and I LOVE the shape of the neck. Keep us posted with your progress and TAKE YOUR TIME, this can turn out great!

3. bassman0221

bassman0221

Sep 30, 2009
    Richmond VA
    Sorry I was ill yesterday but today I come baring pictures! So I opted to just a tobacco brown stain on the neck and body,loving the color! I will let the pictures do the talking though....
    1-1.
    4. 2-1.

Now I do not quite know what to finish it with...I don't want poly but I would like a bit of a smoother finish, any ideas? Also does anyone know an easy way to remove the inlays?

4. bassman0221

bassman0221

Sep 30, 2009
    Richmond VA
    RobertUI, I love the feel of the neck on this bass. I enjoyed the entire bass besides cosmetics, was not a fan of the body lines/style.

5. RobertUI

RobertUI Thumper Supporting Member

Apr 7, 2005
    Herndon, VA - NoVa
    Yeah, mine's the explorer style, so I'm definitely with you on not being a fan of the lines/style. This whole era for Ibanez was pretty bad unless you're starting a hair band! :)

Looks great so far!

6. bassman0221

bassman0221

Sep 30, 2009
    Richmond VA
    haha yeah everyone either thought I was a metal or hairband bassist when they saw this....Thanks and I will continue to update the thread until I am done.

7. bassman0221

bassman0221

Sep 30, 2009
    Richmond VA
    Almost finished! I will let the pictures do the talking....

8. bassman0221

bassman0221

Sep 30, 2009
    Richmond VA
    I am planning on having the rosewood replaced with ebony soon, upgrading the pots/wiring and increasing the voltage to 18v with a switch...

9. Wrilley

Wrilley

Jan 2, 2012
    Detroit, MI USA
    Wow, great depth of grain with the flash on, it really glows! Looks really nice.

10. Stealth

Stealth

Feb 5, 2008
    Zagreb, Croatia
    Wow. That is one great refinish.

11. bassman0221

bassman0221

Sep 30, 2009
    Richmond VA
    Thanks I was really happy with it, that extra hole by the volume/tone knobs is for the switch that is going to switch the pickups from 9v to 18v). Yeah the last picture I used HDR toning to show the grain a bit better...

12. ctmullins

ctmullins fueled by beer and coconut Gold Supporting Member

Apr 18, 2008
    MS Gulf Coast
    I'm highly opinionated and extremely self-assured
    Nice refinish! What did you wind up using for the top coat?

Um.... Why would you bother? Either run it at 9V, or run it at 18V, but I don't see the point of a switch to allow both.

13. bassman0221

bassman0221

Sep 30, 2009
    Richmond VA
    Poly....easiest to come by haha

for the hell of it really...There is a hole in the guitar by the knobs and it is driving me crazy so I am going to put a switch in there. As far as a difference in sound between 9v/18v I don't even know if you will be able to tell a difference.

14. Stealth

Stealth

Feb 5, 2008
    Zagreb, Croatia
    I'd rather use it to switch capacitors that are part of the tone pot. Bit more variety.

15. bassman0221

bassman0221

Sep 30, 2009
    Richmond VA
    mmm never thought of that, wouldn't even know where to begin to be honest...

16. TheEmptyCell

TheEmptyCell Bearded Dingwall Enthusiast

Use it as a pickup selector or killswitch.

17. Stealth

Stealth

Feb 5, 2008
    Zagreb, Croatia
    Your tone pot has one of its lugs connected to a capacitor, then the capacitor is connected to the ground (which is usually the back of that same pot, which is also connected to the ground or sleeve connector of the output). This is what makes your tone control sweep and dull or brighten your sound.

If you connect that lug to the center lug of your switch, then connect one value capacitor (say, your standard) to one of the side lugs of the switch and another value capacitor (say, double the original value for a lower-frequency cutoff - a lower, thuddier sound) to the other side lug of the switch, once you connect the free capacitor ends to the ground (again, either the tone pot casing, or tie them together and add an extra wire to the output jack) your switch will select between one of two. The neat thing is, you can try different capacitors that way and pick two you like the most.

Basically, this, except you connect one end of the green wire to that spot on the tone control pot I mentioned.

18. Wrilley

Wrilley

Jan 2, 2012
    Detroit, MI USA
    Put in a fake knob and make up a really good story :ninja:

19. Hopkins

Hopkins Supporting Member Commercial User

Nov 17, 2010
    Houston Tx
    Owner/Builder @Hopkins Guitars
    Rounding the points off did alot of good for the look of that bass, nice job.

20. PsychoG

PsychoG

May 21, 2011
    Tampa, Florida
    Nice work.