1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Beater bass that you love to play.

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by BAG, Feb 10, 2016.

1. BAG

BAG

May 5, 2014
    New Zealand
    A few months ago I finished making a travel bass which I call the "Butcher Bass" (original thread here) due to the fact that it was a cheap bass I butchered and cut down to use around the campfire or at BBQ's. It actually turned out decently and I was playing it almost as much as my best bass.

Due to my total lack of finishing knowledge or skills the rattle can paint job was completely crap so I decided to do a better job (not really good....just better) and so around Christmas I pulled her apart again, did some sanding and prep and each week for the past 4 weeks gave it another coat of rattle-can-black. I did a bit of sanding between coats and the results were a big improvement. Still not great but at least the end grain is now sealed properly. It is a beater bass so a perfect finish is not a requirement and with the whole project costing me around $140 Oz dollars (about $100 US) including the purchase of the donor bass there was no way i was going to pay someone to do a proper paint job.

Anyway..... the whole time it has been out of action i've missed playing it. On th eplus side my Jag shorty got some play after being ignored for a while. I finally put it back together the other night and once again i've probably played it more than my best bass.

Does anyone else out there find themselves playing something a lot that they bought dirt cheap but turns out to be fun and good sounding?

20151031_505-2.

El Pelusa and 2cooltoolz like this.
  2. Joe Nerve

Joe Nerve Supporting Member

Oct 7, 2000
    New York City
    Endorsing artist: Musicman basses
    I had one of those active Squier 5 strings that I played pretty much exclusively for around 6 months. Maybe even more.

Dr. Cheese likes this.
  3. Coreythebassman

Coreythebassman Supporting Member

Dec 5, 2010
    I played a schecter c4 throughout college and it did just fine... didn't mind banging it up getting onto the 4x4 dorm elevator either :)

4. BAG

BAG

May 5, 2014
    New Zealand
    I should have pointed out in my OP that this isn't one of those "my Squier plays better than MIA's" etc etc etc.

My travel bass is by no means as good playing, sounding, feeling, looking etc as my Godin. It's just that I DO like playing it. It's a fun bass.
    Part of it I think is that it's so small that on the lounge or on the back porch it is so comfortable (and the neck is pretty decent feeling). The other part is with it just hanging in the lounge room (because I don't care enough to put it in a case) it is so easy to just pick up, plug in and play.

5. Fretless370

Fretless370 Fretless AND Headless Supporting Member

Dec 1, 2015
    My Yammer RBX170 Fretless Frakenbass...

6. BAG

BAG

May 5, 2014
    New Zealand
    Photos!!! A fretless of some sort is on my current wishlist.

7. Fretless370

Dec 1, 2015
    Ok. Here's the yammer. RBX170 body, RBX260 fretless neck (i have yet to find a fretless 170 from the factory. don't think they were made.), ESP tuners, RBX370 electronics and soon to be higher end Yamaha pups. The other pic is my fretless Hohner B2AFL. Not pictured is my Ibby 370F. Not to many Ibanez fans here tho from what i can tell so far ;)

photo-2.JPG
    photo-4.JPG photo-3.JPG photo.JPG

OH, I forgot. ESP knobs on the Yamaha too... :)

BTW, I'm looking for a hard case for the hohner if anyone is selling one.....:wideyed:

Last edited: Feb 13, 2016
  8. Fretless370

Dec 1, 2015
    The Ibanez Full model # is SR370F in case you were wondering... Just love fretless!

9. Fretless370

Dec 1, 2015
    and if your wondering, Ernie ball flatwounds all the way......

To add - I must mention Roto flatwounds as well... :)

10. BAG

BAG

May 5, 2014
    New Zealand
    Ohhh. I like!! The price of Hofner shorty's over here (over $400) was my reason for making myself a travel bass out of a donor bass. I'll be keeping my eyes open for a Yammy fretless.

11. Fretless370

Dec 1, 2015
    Like I said, I have yet to find a factory 170 fretless so I would look for a 370f. More versatility. the 260's only have a tone and volume control. 170 and 370 have the same control count and lay out (2 volume, 1 tone) hence the reason why I modded my 170 with 370 electronics.

12. I joined a UK forum a few years back and kept seeing the name Thomann mentioned. When I checked them out I found they were the biggest retailer
    in Europe,over $900 million in sales last year. Not bad for a 50 year old family business:D They do their own brand of guitars built in China.

50's style P-bass at £70 took my fancy and it turned out to be a very nice bass,put a set of nylons from Status-Graphite and it gets as much time as my USA Cirrus.
    PB-50.

13. Steve88

Steve88

Mar 27, 2014
    Rochester, NY
    I've got an old mutt of a jazz bass i bought for about $25. And wouldnt you believe the thing is so good that i've been known to take it instead of my Lakland. Its got the smoothest slickest neck ive ever laid hands on. A keeper for sure. Pics coming soon.

14. tuba_samurai

tuba_samurai Yamaha BB Club #123

Oct 30, 2013
    Georgia
    IMG_20150305_230946_434.

15. I found this 1970s Epiphone ET-285 bass for $120 on Craigslist in early 2015. After having a tech replace the toggle switch, its been my go-to bass when I practice at home. I'm determined to keep t[​IMG] he 20-year-old black nylon tapewound strings on for as long as possible, even though the ends are fraying. EpiBassFeb16.

kodiakblair and tuba_samurai like this.
  16. Steve88

Steve88

Mar 27, 2014
    Rochester, NY
    Pics as promised. I think the neck is something out of the Fender Japan factory, body is from Chandler Industries in San Francisco, pickups are probably Duncan quarter pounders. Hardware is unknown.

P_20160213_143654. P_20160213_143727.

El Pelusa likes this.
  17. I love playing my beater bass! This old Squier Bronco takes a beating everytime I play it. I chopped out the standard electrics and replaced it with a Fender Lace Red Sensor strat pick up and wired that straight to a switchcraft jack. It sounds great! It's the only bass I use for my new project. DSC_0187.JPG

BAG likes this.