1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

BEATER bass

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by SIFJiggy, Jan 2, 2012.

1. SIFJiggy

SIFJiggy

Jan 22, 2011
    So - A friend gave me a bass - fo FREE!

Here's my problem - it's kind of a junky 10 year old Squier P-Bass.

So - why not have it as a backup? I need new knobs, some new hardware (one saddle screw), new strings to make it "whole" again.

What should I do (if anything) after I make it good again? I've been messing with the truss rod to straighten the neck, and after a lot of work and 2 complete rotations it's ALMOST there (meaning straight). Should I throw a decent pickup in it and just have something passable? Should I upgrade the electronics? I dunno...

I currently have a MIM Reggie Hamilton Jazz that is my main bass, but have been interested in a Precision for awhile (but looking at MIAs really).

One more thing - since a friend gave it to me, I'm not really planning on junking or selling it - just need a plan to make it somewhat useful - I'm open to ideas - it cost me nothing, so doing a few upgrades myself is an option.

Thanks in advance!

2. MyMusic

MyMusic

Jun 1, 2010
    Dover, De
    Why not start by taking it to a luthier and having it checked out and made playable. It may surprise you.

3. christw

christw Get low!

May 11, 2008
    Dayton OH
    I want to be Tesla (tinkerer at Dayton Amp Co)
    After a good setup, even my instruments I planned as "beaters" have enough character to them for my to enjoy playing them. Often they play quite well as a start and can be tweaked to very good playing status. Even a spliced together Hondo / Ibanez disasterpiece with a plastic knife as a nut, a bridge pickup routed with a screwdriver, and a guitar pickup as the neck pickup sounded killer and got played in my post-hardcore band a lot.

4. Geroi Asfalta

Geroi Asfalta

Aug 23, 2011
    I'd clean it up, get new knobs and strings. I wouldn't worry about the saddle screw unless it really screws up your playing. My memphis started the same way, and I haven't done anything to it (except pull out the frets)

5. Bilboom

Bilboom

Apr 22, 2011
    i would change the pickups, new strings and clean it

6. pacojas

pacojas "FYYA BUN"

Oct 11, 2009
    MEXICANADAMERICA
    i heard that Squiers were better than MIM's,...

so sell the Reggie to me, put money into the Squier, and we'll both be happy! ;)

7. cchorney

cchorney Supporting Member

Oct 21, 2010
    Meriden, CT
    Make sure the screws for the strap buttons are secure, get the action to the height you want, the intonation correct, and adjust the pick up height as needed, and that's it. Unless they are rusted or there's one missing the strings are more than fine - they are already broken in for you! No new knobs, if you have the right number who cares if they match or look cool. You, my friend, have a free bass. Start putting money into it and its no longer free!

8. SIFJiggy

SIFJiggy

Jan 22, 2011
    I DARE you to play a well setup RH sig and tell me a Squier is better hahahaha! It does have American p/us btw

9. SIFJiggy

SIFJiggy

Jan 22, 2011
    I figure I could throw in a decent pickup, and put knobs on (it has none) and call it good. The the screw on the bridge controlling the E string intonation is horribly bent, just for peace of mind, I'll probably put a straight one on.

Strings are DONE - probably original hahaha.

neck hasn't quite straightened out, but I'm still tweaking it - so we'll see how that goes.