Beater Basses?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Dr. Cheese, Jul 10, 2020.

1. I need at least one.

92 vote(s)
    36.2%
  2. I only want top dollar basses

10 vote(s)
    3.9%
  3. My basses are not expensive, but they are not beaters.

76 vote(s)
    29.9%
  4. Who cares? I just play them!

76 vote(s)
    29.9%
  1. Dr. Cheese

Dr. Cheese Gold Supporting Member

Mar 3, 2004
    Metro St. Louis

Today, I got a like for this video I recorded on my Peavey Fury. The bass is beat up and can use a new pickguard, but it sets up nicely, sounds great and is really to low value to sell. If I ever get to travel overseas again for research, it will be an ideal bass to take along for practice. As much I like my higher end basses, this $65 beater still has a place in my rotation.

Nunovsky, smogg, miljoneir and 27 others like this.
  2. luciens

luciens

Feb 9, 2020
    I voted I need at least one. Though I admit I don't have a true beater right now. My pattern is a favorite bass and then another one exactly like it. That's why I have 2 jaco artists for example. So that way, one gets the hell played out of it, relic'ed etc., and I have a good backup too that always stays in good condition.

My Tony Franklin is becoming my current beater, though. It's getting all the playing time currently. If this keeps up, I'm going to have to get another one as a spare and I dont know where in the world Ill get the money to do that :) .

For me, I think Peaveys are great beater basses too. I haven't checked them out since the late 90's, but they always struck me as these really good basses for just dirt cheap....

L

Dr. Cheese likes this.
  3. Volker Kirstein

Volker Kirstein Blippy the Wonder Slug Supporting Member

All my basses are beaters. Even the NIB ones.

4. Bill Thompson

Bill Thompson

Sep 19, 2014
    Since about half of my basses are used, a lot of them would be considered 'beaters', yet some of them were outstanding values. This bass is a Yamaha BB300. At the time this picture was taken, it sported Schaller tuners, A HipShot 'D' tuner, DiMarzio Model P pickup and a BadAss 2 bridge. I brought it used for $150.00. & you didn't have to worry about beating it up, because it already was! Cheers! ;^D. DSC06989.JPG

DeepThoughts, wraub, REV and 2 others like this.
  5. Funny you mention Beaters....I have gone full circle to the point of nauseam...

When I purchased my 2014 Squier VM Jazz V, it was supposed to be my Beater. But I loved it so much that I had to buy an Affinity Jazz V to be the beater.

then I started experimenting with that Affinity....added an MM bridge pickup, then a preamp, then another VM neck...then a 2nd MM pickup in the neck position...
    It stopped being the beater...even though it has been beaten. I guess you can say it’s Relic’ed

I had gotten another Affinity Jazz V body to use as a fretless with the Warmoth neck I got in 2018. Then I put that fret less neck on the VM body, and that Affinity is now the beater....
    Sheesh...

6. Riff Ranger

Riff Ranger Supporting Member

Mar 22, 2018
    Bigfoot Country
    That’s my beater, down to the color and need of new pickguard! Unfortunately mine also has need of a new nut and truss rod, and I have another one in much better shape, so it probably should go turn into somebody’s project or parts for a few.

alanloomis1980 and Dr. Cheese like this.
  7. Dr. Cheese

Mar 3, 2004
    Metro St. Louis
    Fix it and you will have a quality back up.

8. Passinwind

Passinwind I know nothing. Commercial User

Dec 3, 2003
    Columbia River Gorge, WA.
    Owner/Designer &Toaster Tech Passinwind Electronics
    No room at the inn for more instruments here. I always had at least one beater guitar around for decades, and I gigged them plenty, so another one would be a much higher priority than a beater bass, in all honesty.

Dr. Cheese likes this.
  9. bolophonic

bolophonic

Dec 10, 2009
    Durham, NC
    All of my basses are made of inexpensive parts and while I don’t consider them beaters, I also don’t care if they get dinged up a little. Everything is replaceable in my life except my wife and kids.

10. buldog5151bass

buldog5151bass Kibble, milkbones, and P Basses. And redheads.

Oct 22, 2003
    Connecticut
    No. I would rather have one good bass than a dozen beaters.

11. TOOL460002

TOOL460002

Nov 4, 2004
    Santa Cruz
    I would just never buy anything I may resell or anything crazy expensive ($2k+). You can still have a $1k beater.

RayWithFlats and Dr. Cheese like this.
  12. Steve88

Steve88

Mar 27, 2014
    Macedon, NY
    I figure if I can get a decent feeling and sounding bass for less than $100 to keep around, who cares if it mostly sits in the case? I've got about $30 into mine, and it's one of my favorite J basses I've owned. It's beat up with some misaligned parts and has no pedigree whatsoever, but it doesn't seem to care that it shouldn't out play and "out tone" American Fenders, Custom Shops, and an Xotic.

ZedLepp, LostJohnny and RayWithFlats like this.
  13. markjazzbassist

markjazzbassist Supporting Member

Apr 19, 2005
    Lakewood, OH
    always got love for brothers johnson! love that tune. man if it can play music i'm all for it. brothers in africa are playing sticks of wood with strings and rigged pickups and sounding bad as hell, it's the musician not the tools!

14. Dr. Cheese

Mar 3, 2004
    Metro St. Louis
    True!

sonojono likes this.
  15. tgriley62

tgriley62

Jan 25, 2011
    S.E. Mo
    Cheap: Yes.
    Beater bass: To some Maybe

20161118_195043_zps0chmi1h8.jpg

16. Dincrest

Dincrest Supporting Member

Sep 27, 2004
    New Jersey
    I once played a Peavey Fury 6-string back in 2004 or so. It looked, felt, and sounded like a MUCH nicer bass. It definitely punched above its weight class.

17. sonojono

sonojono Supporting Member

Feb 13, 2013
    California
    My beater was an $80 Washburn Bass before I sold it back three years later at GC for $120. I really do miss that bass but I knew if I held onto it longer, it wouldn’t be a beater anymore with all the crazy modifications I had in mind for it :roflmao:

18. TheReceder

TheReceder

Jul 12, 2010
    Mn.
    I have a herd of peavey foundations. Some nice, some beaters, all cheap, all will be given to my grandkids after I die.

Bleecker, City and Dr. Cheese like this.
  19. lowdownthump

lowdownthump

Jul 17, 2004
    My beater is a Sire V3-5. By that , so mean it’s the bass that I take to places I don’t want to take my more expensive basses.

Freddy T and Dr. Cheese like this.
  20. I have an old Ibanez that i used to leave in my truck when I traveled across the country drag racing. I always had a bass to play on and I didn't worry about all the different temperature differences it was exposed to. Heat, humidity, snow, all kinds and it did just fine. Still have it and it plays just fine.

Dr. Cheese and Huw Phillips like this.
  21. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Jul 25, 2021