1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Beaters?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by JoshuaTSP, Oct 11, 2010.

1. JoshuaTSP

JoshuaTSP

Sep 26, 2008
    Does anyone have really nice basses, but only gig their POS budget bass?

2. RumblinThunder

RumblinThunder

Aug 11, 2009
    I have a nice EBMM sterling that stays at home while I take my mij Fender Jag to the gig. Just love the look and feel
    :bag:

3. Twocan

Twocan Living the Dream

Oct 5, 2009
    MA
    I bought two of the bass I like - one for home, one for shows.

4. Spinal Tapper

Spinal Tapper

Nov 15, 2007
    Chicago
    I have a 1962 Precision that I don't gig for the sheer fact that I believe it will be stolen from me. It's just my luck. I had incredible luck finding it for the price I got it, and you know what they say...easy come, easy go.

I do gig my 75 P however. Before that I was gigging my CIJ 62 RI Precision and Jazz basses.

5. I have a early '90s Fender Prodigy bass that I restored back to life. It's pretty beat, not even close to original, and sounds great. If somebody stole it they'd be sorely disappointed in what they could get for it.

6. Pilgrim

Pilgrim Supporting Member

A budget bass is not necessarily a POS.

A POS is not necessarily a budget bass.

A does not automatically equal B.

Do I have inexpensive basses that I sometimes play in preference to more expensive basses? Yes.

Do I have beat-up basses that I sometimes play in preference to better-kept basses? No, but that's only because I don't own beat-up basses.

7. Phalex

Phalex Semper Gumby Supporting Member

Oct 3, 2006
    G.R. MI
    I gig my Hoppus while my Ric usually stays home.

8. My 08 USA jazz bass is my "beater" it goes everywhere i feel there is a risk to take a nice one...
    If its a pretty safe gig i just pick one of the other ones!

9. I gig mostly 'beaters' because I'm very nervous about playing my ATK700 at shows where I might need to leave my equipment unattended.

10. JoshuaTSP

JoshuaTSP

Sep 26, 2008
    Sometimes having a "gig" bass seems like a great idea......other times, I think I would feel like a dork leaving my wonderful more expensive basses at home.

Why spend all that money, time setting it up, and all that....just to leave it home?

11. iriegnome

iriegnome Bassstar style Supporting Member

Nov 23, 2001
    Kenosha, WI 53140
    I have lots of those! I normally play my Modulus Q5 or my MIA Fender P Deluxe V or something like that, but every now and then I pull out my 1981 Hondo Longhorn or my 1976 Aria A-200 to play for a show. Also, this Halloween I will be bringing out my Krappy 2-String Kustom design bass for a song or 2

12. Spinal Tapper

Spinal Tapper

Nov 15, 2007
    Chicago
    Hopefully for studio recordings, practice, and jamming at home or with friends ;)

13. Bassdirty

Bassdirty Supporting Member

Jul 23, 2010
    CT
    All my basses are "beaters".

I only buy what Im gonna gig with.

14. IMHO a beater isn't a POS... it's just a great sounding and playing bass that if it got stolen, I wouldn't get ****** off so much because it was inexpensive and easy to replace.

15. MNAirHead

MNAirHead Supporting Member

I commonly gig a $60 bass.. the audience can't tell the difference.

16. +100000

None of my basses cost me more than $200. I'm a.d.d. as hell, i'll switch my basses for every show. So, i like having all basses gig-able but replaceable.

17. I usually take my mid-price point basses to gigs.

Oh wait, that's really all I own.

My Peavey Cirrus 5 USA is probably my most valuable bass. Yes, I gig with it.

I have a refinished Gibson Thunderbird, custom sparkle finish courtesy of Marty Bell, Lull T-Bird pickups, value around $2,500.00. I will gig with it for a Halloween party at a local club.

For outdoor gigs with the possibility of inclement weather, I take the Fender MIM's.

18. MNAirHead

MNAirHead Supporting Member

I take that back.. they can see 7 strings and see and upright.

Rest are just basses to 99.9%

19. Phalex

Phalex Semper Gumby Supporting Member

Oct 3, 2006
    G.R. MI
    ^ This. Plus my lead singer get's all Steven Tyler with the micstand sometimes.

20. JoshuaTSP

JoshuaTSP

Sep 26, 2008
    Well, I ask because I got a little boozed up and snagged a MIM Jazz V with the intent of being able to treat it like crap.....maybe spray paint it to my liking....etc...

That said I'd be leaving my Warwick $$ 5 and SR5 at home. :(