1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Beatle bass clone question

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by mr sprocket, Feb 20, 2008.

1. mr sprocket

mr sprocket

Jul 31, 2006
    Dallas
    I am looking at picking up one Beatle bas clones (Turser, Rogue, etc) I have a question about the two styles of controls. Some have one tone and two volume pots while some have the two volume pots, two on/off switches, and a tone switch.

Which works better.

2. iamthebassman

iamthebassman

Feb 24, 2004
    Austin,Texas
    Endorsing Artist: Phantom Guitars, Eastwood Guitars
    Having owned both(and currently, the real thing) I prefer the switches. I only ever use the neck p/u and its nice to be able to kill the output of the bass with one switch. Also, the 3rd switch is not a tone switch(there is no tone control on the "switch" type), its a "boost".
    leftyfam07008.

3. Thornton Davis

Thornton Davis

Dec 11, 1999
    Toronto
    Why don't you take a look at Hofner's Icon B-Bass if you're looking to buy a violin style bass? These are made in China.

Or even better, look at a Hofner Contemporary 500/1 Violin bass. Better quality and made with German made Hofner pickups, the rest is Chinese.

TD

4. mr sprocket

mr sprocket

Jul 31, 2006
    Dallas
  5. oldrookie

oldrookie

May 15, 2007
    Avon, IN
    Rondo has a Douglas version for $145 and Brice for $259.

I have a Brice (different color scheme) and love it. Great tone, easy to play. The Hutchins version has the pickups a bit closer together for a different look and, presumably, a different sound.

6. jimbilly

jimbilly

Apr 19, 2006
    My friend (who's a real vintage expert) tells me the Chinese Hofners are scarily close to the old Hofners. Apparently they figured somebody would build copies out of China, so why not them?, and why not do it right? They're what, $299? I'd get one of those.

7. rfclef

rfclef

Jan 19, 2007
    Woodburn, Oregon
    I have an Epiphone Viola with 3 knobs: Neck, Bridge, tone. i like it.

8. c&j dist

c&j dist

Oct 27, 2008
    Hutchins also makes a nice one called the Hamburg. The Hutchins even are priced with tweed hard cases. You can see them at www.hutchinsguitarsusa.com

9. UncleBalsamic

UncleBalsamic

Jul 8, 2007
    UK
    I've got a Korean made Westfield violin bass with the two volume, pickup on/off switches and the phase switch. I like that setup but the phase switch is close to useless in my opinion.

10. The Hutchins instruments appear to be re-branded Alden guitars. Very inexpensive instruments that have gotten some very nice reviews. Not sure how much they're being marked up as Hutchins in the USA....

11. c&j dist

c&j dist

Oct 27, 2008
    The Hutchins Hamburg bass street prices at $549.00 with a tweed hard case. These instruments are inspected and setup in the states to ensure the highest level of quality. You can see the complete line of products at www.hutchinsguitarsusa.com.