Beatle bass or Gibson EB-2 ??

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by crocau, Feb 22, 2005.

1. I feel like buying an old electroacoustic bass for a vintage tone (and look). Beatle bass, Gibson EB2, or maybe an epiphone, or some other.

I don't especially love short scales basses, but with flatwound strings, they are okay. I really a really easy playing bass to play with my thumb when I sing lead.

I was wondering if you guys would have any advises, preferences, or whatever to help me make up my mind. Or one the other side, do you think these are obsolete dinosaurs and that I should stick to my upright and jazz bass.

Even that Rogue imitation seems like such a nice little bass, how does it compare to the real Hofner ?
  2. firstbassman

firstbassman Apples & Dirges

Sep 6, 2004
    NYC/Northern NJ
    I bought a Jay Turser model - it's a black one with gold hardware, so as to deflect the "copy" stigma a little. It's got a great warm sound that sounds and feels really close to The One. Add Pyramid strings and it's even closer.

Yeah, the short scale thing is kinda weird, but it really does have a personality all its own. Even the guy at the shop that did a quick setup for me said the same thing - he doesn't like that type of bass overall, but he felt that one played really nicely. It's light as a feather, and it's really easy to play. And play... And play...

FYI, I did try out a real old-school Hofner - not sure what year it was - at a local NYC vintage shop recently. The frets were so, so super-small that it felt like it was actually a toy. But that was an anomaly, as other Hofners that I've played had frets that were much more normal sized.

For about $275 (probably about a tenth of the tag of a purebred Hofner), I think it's a good deal to get that vibe.
  3. apollo11

Aug 19, 2004
    New York
    I've got the Jay Turser too, and it is a fantastic little player for $275, including case. It is the fastest neck you'll ever play, due to the short scale and thinness. But boy, is it deep sounding! Warm, deep low E on this baby! I recently replaced the flats with nylon flats, and they breathed some life into the bass. Added to the sustain and gave more crispness to the high notes.

This bass does great at copying the old-school hollowbody sound, and so closely resembles the Hofner tone, it is well worth the small investment. Besides, it really adds a new dimension to your sound. which is hard to do on such a small amount of money.

Don't be concerned about the lack of high quality tuners/pickups/pickguard---they do the job perfectly.
  4. iamthebassman

Feb 24, 2004
    Endorsing Artist: Phantom Guitars, Eastwood Guitars
    I own both a Gibson EB-2 and a Hofner Beatle, plus several other short-scale hollowbodies. I love my EB-2, it's a special-order from the late '60s. It has two mudbuckers instead of one. Massive low-end or flip the midboost and the tone is exactly that heard on "We Gotta Get Out Of This Place" by The Animals. I have a reissue Epi Rivoli and while they were the exact same bass as a Gibson EB-2 in the '60s, the reissue is no match for an original. Still a nice bass tho, the pickup's just not the same(even tho' it looks it). I still use it often. We opened for Herman's Hermits last year and I had "Herman" sign it.
    As far as Hofners go, mine's a '63 reissue, about 10 years old. Gig with it all the time(I'm in a Beatles/Sixties band). Before I got it I used the Epi Viola copy, which was fine and sounded OK once I put flats on it. But NOTHING compares to the real thing. Looks, feel, or sound. Hofners are pretty easy to find, an EB-2 is a bit harder but they show up on ebay all the time. Any questions?
  5. rockindoc

rockindoc Daily Lama

Jan 26, 2002
    Bonham, Tx
    LOL Here's mine. Single Mudbuckler.

It's obsolete. Haven't played it in over 20 years. But YMMV.
  6. nysbob

Sep 14, 2003
    Cincinnati OH
    For that vibe, my first choice would be a nice old Silvertone or Dano, preferably the U1 style. You can still get a pretty nice one for around 400 beans. It's got the body resonance + a better pickup IMO. :cool:

MAJOR METAL HARVESTER OF SORROW Staff Member Supporting Member

If you can swing the Hofner price their a quality instrument but i would recomend buying one that was made in the last 10 years since during the beatle craz the quality droped. Some of the Hofner copys of the 60's and 70's are really cool for what they are. For a larger hollowbody you might want to check out a Epiphone Jack Casady bass, it goes beyound the one thump tone of the Hofners and their copys and they look cool. :)
  8. luknfur

Jan 14, 2004

I had a Beatle Rogue copy for a while and it was a pretty decent for what it did and it was fun to dink with, I just found too restrictive in tone pretty much for anything except early Beatles - which I really don't play any of.
  9. I agree with Major Metal on the Jack Casady bass.It's 34"scale and really sounds great unlike the Gibsons muddy tone and the Hofners thud.Lakland also has a hollowbody that sounds good but is quite a bit more money.Old Guild Starfires are great sounding too but they are pretty hard to find.Between the Hofner and the EB2 I think the Hofner sounds better but the Jack Casady puts both to shame tone wise.
  10. Guild Starfire, with the Hagstrom-made black-top pickup with the chrome surround (or, failing that, a Hammond Dark Star replacement). There is no other. BOOOOM! :help:
  11. Funkster

Apr 6, 2000
    Wormtown, MA
    Taint nuttin like the real thing baby!!

I'm totaly diggin on my 67 Mudbucker EB2, The thing has a whole different vibe, Great for a 60's gig and very comfy to play I might add.