1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Beatle Fans, re-mastered catalogue!

Discussion in 'Recordings [BG]' started by ryco, Apr 7, 2009.

1. ryco

ryco

Apr 24, 2005
    New digitally re-mastered mixes for The Beatle catalogue, including returning some CDs back to mono.

http://www.thebeatles.com/core/news/

I'll probably keep my old version CDs as I'm not of an audiophile. Still have all the LPs - although some are pretty scratchy.
    I'm sure these will come out at a maximum price, too.

2. kingbee

kingbee

Apr 18, 2006
    Finally! A commercial release of the mono mix of Sgt. Peppers.

3. Why? :-(

Everything i have heard thats been digitally re-mastered has been crap. It's not how it should be! Something that special you just don't **** with.

They did that "Love" re-mixed abum, i cried when i heard it, i bet john was turning in his grave.

4. atheos

atheos

Sep 28, 2008
    Tampere, Finland
    The mono release sounds like they haven't ruined it. We'll see.

5. Deluge Of Sound

Deluge Of Sound Banned

Nov 8, 2007
    Maine/Vermont
    If it ain't broke, don't fix it.

6. PBass101

PBass101

Jul 3, 2008
    Illinois
    The presently available Beatles CD's don't sound good at all. I can't imagine they'll end up sounding any worse with these re-masters...

7. msiner

msiner

Sep 2, 2008
    Tucson, AZ
    To be fair, the "Love" album is the soundtrack to a Cirque du Soleil show. My wife went to the show and said it was really good. Like you said, it is a remix, not a remastering. The album is actually very cool, but nobody should listen to it and compare it to a Beatles studio album. It is a different way to experience their music that is especially fun for people who have seen the show and can remember the show experience while listening to the album. I don't think John is "turning in his grave" because of a creative application of the Beatles music like "Love", but he might be turning at the more exploitative uses like "The Beatles: Rock Band". But it's hard to tell what he would like, he was a complex guy.

8. Mr. Mig

Mr. Mig

Sep 7, 2008
    I will wait and see what the remastered library sounds like before I judge it. I personally can't wait for The Beatles Rock Band.

9. Exactly. I'm sure they will just give them a bit of a polish, which they could probably do with. I can't imagine any remixing going on, these recordings are considered pretty sacred. I mean, look how long it's taken to get this far!

George Martin will keep an eye on everything.

10. kingbee

kingbee

Apr 18, 2006
    Yeah, but it's the availability of the mono mixes on CD that's the big news here. The Beatles and their engineers tended to focus mostly on the mono mixes, which were released on LP, and then just kind of toss off the stereo mixes later. But for some reason, it's those stereo mixes that wound up being released on CD. It's not just the sound quality, it's the overall balance of the sound.