Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

beatles and Mccartney tablature

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by mtncry, Oct 26, 2001.

1. mtncry

mtncry

Oct 26, 2001
    NC
    I was wondering if anyone had tab for the following beatles songs:

Yer Blues
    Bulldog
    Don't Let Me Down
    Two Of US
    And Your Bird Can Sing
    Drive My Car

and the mccartney songs:

Silly Love Song
    Listen To What The Man Said

2. I have them...in a hard cover book, oops. If you can't find them on the regular tab sites, you might want to consider getting this book, it's so great. You get tabs (and standard notation for you purists) for every instrument recorded on every song the Beatles recorded. If you're a Beatles fan I can't recommend this book enough. It's like $50-$60 but well worth it. It's great for when you're practicing and you just want to play along with the Beatles for fun without having to think or listen too hard.

3. NukeBass

NukeBass

Jul 8, 2000
    Cornelius, NC
    That Beatles book is called the Bealtes Complete Scores (check out this online place www.guitarconnection.com or one of the big named places) and it is pretty good, but the bass lines to songs like Hey Bulldog, She Came in Through the Bathroom Window, and Oh! Darling aren't accurate. It does give a good base to start figuring them out, though. If Olga is still up, some of those listed should be on there. I'll keep an eye out and see what is on the web for you.

Not to be obnoxious, but Two of Us doesn't have any bass on it. It is Harrison playing his Strat because McCartney is playing one of the acoustic parts. I was heartbroken when I figured that out (after watching Let It Be). Still sounds good though :)

4. Ryan L.

Ryan L. Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Aug 7, 2000
    West Fargo, ND
    Wrong forum.

off to MISC.

5. Yeah, I should have noted that the bass tabs aren't perfect in the book for some songs, but for most they're right on. I was disappointed to see that the tabs for 'Something' were incomplete. In that song's case BTA has better tabs. But the book's still worth it. Esp. if you have a band and want to try Beatle covers.

6. Susie Jennings

Susie Jennings

Jan 30, 2001
    Hi there -
    As a young lass I cut my bass teeth on Mac's great bass lines, and one thing became clear over the years...tab may not really give you the best way to learn these cool riffs of his. There is so much expression in his playing! When I was coming up there wasn't yet tab for bass and my reading wasn't developed, so I listened closely and learned him by ear. He is so melodic and I think I got the gist of his technique by learning a phrase, pounding it in my head, and then getting the next phrase. Is this making sense? It seems to me that the most effective way to connect to his mindset is to get to a headspace where there was no tab! This older music may not be served by using modern methods. I hope this is making some sort of logical sense....Looking back at my early days, I know I learned so much by relying on my ears and imitative skills. No tab to be found. Just a girl, a bass, Beatles albums and a Capitol portable phonograph!
    Consider woodshedding and getting inside Mac's head instead....
    Sign me -
    Pretty Good For A Girl
    (My favorite compliment!)

7. If you work them out for yourself by ear it will help you a lot more.

Then you can make them as accurate as YOU want them, not as accurately as the tabber could be bothered to type out.

But that bass playing sure is tasty. Sgt Peppers in particular.

8. embellisher

embellisher Holy Ghost filled Bass Player Staff Member Supporting Member

Bravo, Susie! Great post.:)

Like my new friend Susie just said, you will learn a lot more of Sir Paul's feel and taste if you learn he bass lines by ear. And it will also benefit you down the road by improving your ear and making you a better player.

9. Susie Jennings

Susie Jennings

Jan 30, 2001
    Thank you Jeff....glad to be of service.

10. True, but the sheet music is good to see if you really want to study Paul's bass lines vs. the chords of the song. It's helped me a lot in that respect. I know it's trendy to bash notation around here, but it does have it's positives. I don't think anyone plays tabs without using their ear also...it's not that black and white.

11. Susie Jennings

Susie Jennings

Jan 30, 2001
    Hey there -
    I would never bash notation per se....it is very important to be able to read tab and staff! My only point was that if a player was gonna make use of his or her ear, dis is da place! Paul's basslines are quite melodic, and when one listens from start to finish there is quite a nice shape, method and motion to them that, in my humble opinion, is nicely served by getting them in your brain by non-written means. I am also a vocalist, and there is a similar value involved in learning a song this way. I hardly ever rely on sheet music to learn a song! But let me hear it a few times and I've got it. Listening for shape, dynamics, relationships, tone and feel are things sheet and tab don't provide, although yes, it is a good start. But learning anybody's lines off the record is one-dimensional without knowing some theory too.
    It's great to be able to read....I wish I did it better. I'm one of those people who'd like to see bass written in treble clef!
    :D
    Last note about Paulie:
    If you listen to "Something", "Lovely Rita", and a jillion others, you'll notice that not only are the bass parts stand-alone voices, but you can actually hear him 'performing' them! Paul never sounds punched in to me. Just a human being developing a great part from start to finish.

Thanks for letting me run off at the mouth!

12. Preach on, sister!!

I agree with your post. I guess it just depends on what you want to learn from Sir Paul at any given time. In my case I wanted to see what I could learn chord/theory wise, but there are times when it's better to just learn it by ear, as if you were singing it. That guy is just awesome. It's crazy to think of how he got 'stuck' playing bass...:eek: ...