Beatles may not be cool anymore...

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by millard, Dec 27, 2004.

1. millard

Jul 27, 2004
    I was given "The Beatles: The Complete Scores" which so far seems to be way cool. Has nearly complete instrumentation for every song the Beatles ever published including all guitar, bass, keyboard and drum parts. While Paul was a bit of a reluctant bassist, he did do some good work over the years.

2. JimK

Dec 12, 1999
    Who's sez they're not 'cool' anymore?
  3. golden_boy

Dec 27, 2004
    Theyre good stuff, I just dislike the fact that the only reason paul picked up the bass was because he was forced onto it by the rest of the band after their original bass palyer left the band (who sucked in the first palce hehe)
  4. I was only a couple of years old at the time, but according to a Beatles history web site, Stu Sutcliff "left" because he died of a brain hemorrhage....
  5. baba

baba Supporting Member

Jan 22, 2002
    3rd stone from the sun
    Beatles aren't cool? I didn't get the memo.
  6. Actually, he left to stay in Germany with Astrid Kircherr- then he died of a brain hemorrhage.

Yes, a different The Golden Boy.
  7. JimK

Dec 12, 1999
    Sutcliffe was an artist...not a musician, per se.
    AFAIK, he left the group because he wanted to-
    a)Be with his girlfriend in Germany
    b)Get serious with his art

I didn't see Backbeat. Wasn't this stuff featured in that movie?

I know there are some reports that Paul forced him out so he could become "The Beatles' bass player". Rubbish(from everything I've read).
    I don't see a problem with Paul being 'forced to be a bass player", either. Electric bass was still relatively new...many soon-to-be-great bassists of that era started on guitar(Joe Osborn, Carol Kaye, etc)
    Too, IIRC, at the time, Paul didn't even have a guitar & was playing whatever piano the clubs happened to have on-hand. Harrison & Lennon already owned & were playing guitar...why have a 3rd guitarist(unless you wanna be Black Oak Arkansas or sumthin)?!?
  8. Kevjmyers

Dec 10, 2004
    Boulder. CO
    Hmm...remember the greatest ever on our instrument (Jaco) was a drummer before he broke his wrist? At 16, Alex was better than Geddy so Geddy played bass! It happens.
  9. Adam Barkley

Adam Barkley Mayday!

Aug 26, 2003
    Jackson, MS

Greatest? Maybe in your opinion.
  10. HeavyDuty

HeavyDuty Supporting Curmudgeon Staff Member Gold Supporting Member

Jun 26, 2000
    Suburban Chicago, IL
    Careful - threads like this may make Zack's head explode!

Why is this in Tab?