1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Beatles sue Apple!

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by Blackbird, Mar 30, 2006.

1. Blackbird

Blackbird Moderator Supporting Member

Mar 18, 2000
    California
    http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/entertainment/3105444.stm

2. canopener

canopener

Sep 15, 2003
    Isle of Lucy
    I'm not a Beatles fan, nor do I use iTunes, but this should be an interesting suit.

3. Beatles didn't sue apple....Apple sued Apple

4. Bruce Lindfield

Bruce Lindfield Unprofessional TalkBass Contributor Gold Supporting Member In Memoriam

I hope they win - maybe that'll wipe the smug smile off the faces of all the iPod users, I see on the train!! ;)

5. Syeknom

Syeknom

Oct 17, 2004
    Leuven, Belgium
    The Beatle's Apple have been threatening law suits against Apple for years and years now, ever since they formed.

6. Vorago

Vorago (((o)))

Jul 17, 2003
    Antwerp, Belgium
    Weren't the Beatles having a lawsuit with Apple (the recordlabel) as well?

7. Dan1099

Dan1099 Dumbing My Process Down

Aug 7, 2004
    Michigan
    Man, you have a real bone to pick with iPod users, don't you? I don't even own one, and it gets on my nerve sometimes.

Granted, you can tell an apple user a mile away. ;)

8. NJL

NJL

Apr 12, 2002
    San Antonio
    Anything is better than your constant :meh: BS.

9. bassmonkeee

bassmonkeee

Sep 13, 2000
    Decatur, GA
    Actually, they threatened a lawsuit for years, and had an out of court settlement back in the early 90s.

Apple Corps sued Apple computers when iTunes, etc came out, and Apple Computers tried, unsuccessfully, to get the suit moved to CA. Even though it's just now going to court, this has been in the work for years.

And, Bruce--if anyone knows about smug, it's you. You've mastered the art of smug crap.

10. Bruce Lindfield

Bruce Lindfield Unprofessional TalkBass Contributor Gold Supporting Member In Memoriam

See!! You all agree with me really!! :p

11. cowsgomoo

cowsgomoo gone to Longstanton Spice Museum

Feb 8, 2003
    UK
    a musician who hates music lovers :)

and they say turkeys don't vote for christmas :D

it's just like the time Ozzy Osbourne was accused of putting backwards 'kill yourself' messages on his songs... like any musician wants the people who'd buy his records to die... :)

and before you come out with all that 'sound quality' nonsense again, what's the alternative on a train, read a magazine? naah, if you love music, you'll listen to it whenever possible

12. WalterBush

WalterBush

Feb 27, 2005
    Yuma, Az
    Full disclosure, I'm a certified Fender technician working in a music store that carries Fender, Yamaha, and Ibanez products among others.
    The dateline on that story is 2003. I'm guessing the Beatles didn't get their injunction.

13. cowsgomoo

cowsgomoo gone to Longstanton Spice Museum

Feb 8, 2003
    UK
    it's just gone to the High Court in London.. here be the link :) :

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/entertainment/4854408.stm

personally I don't think the Beatles have much of a moral case... there's no way Apple (Computer) or iTunes can be accused of making people think their service is connected to or sanctioned by the Beatles in any way... but I suppose a trademark is a trademark and iTunes certainly represents a move by Apple (Computer) into the music business.. something they apparently agreed not to do

14. Blackbird

Blackbird Moderator Supporting Member

Mar 18, 2000
    California
    And McCartney didn't leave the Beatles. The Beatles left the Beatles.

15. Bruce Lindfield

No - of course not - I listen to music on trains and so do many others..

What annoys me are people who "wear" iPods as fashion statements and make sure everybody sees their white headphones etc. - even making them prominent, when you can hear they're not listening to music....:meh:

And that smug look of how cool am I.... :rollno:

16. SteveC

SteveC Moderator Staff Member

Nov 12, 2004
    North Dakota
    It's rediculous. One doesn't make anyone think of the other.

I have 2 iPods, thank you very much.

17. SuperDuck

SuperDuck

Sep 26, 2000
    Wisconsin
    Yes Bruce, when Apple settles out of court for a butt-load of money that will mean nothing to them... that will show those yuppie kids for sure! No more smiles on the train!

Then they won't be going like this: :smug:

They'll be going like this: :meh:

Again, not like this: :smug:

But this: :meh:

Misery loves company?

(edited for smiley accuracy)

18. bannedwit

bannedwit

May 9, 2005
    Buffalo, NY
    Are there any Beatles left anymore? (joking) i know 2 are down

19. bassmonkeee

bassmonkeee

Sep 13, 2000
    Decatur, GA
    Bruce--this attitude says a lot more about you than anyone wearing an iPod. A fashion statement? Gee--you think maybe you're reading too much into someone listening to headphones? Why are you listening to see if they are listening to music? Why would you care? Is your life so empty that you invest that much energy what someone else is doing on a train? If you could hear their music, would you complain about the uppity iPod users who are so smug that they blast their music so everyone can hear it? :rolleyes: Everyone who uses an iPod has a smug look? :rollno:

You have to be one of the dumbest smart people I know.

20. bassmonkeee

bassmonkeee

Sep 13, 2000
    Decatur, GA
    You got it wrong. It's not :D to begin with. All Bruce sees is :smug: .

I think the problem is that they really ARE all cooler than Bruce and that's why he's so angry.