Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Beautiful basses, pt1

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Tsal, Jan 25, 2001.

1. Tsal

Tsal

Jan 28, 2000
    Finland, EU
    I have to post this baby I found on Warwick website:

[​IMG]

that's a Warwick Corvette Proline 5, in French Violet I think. Just beautiful.

2. Bruce Lindfield

Bruce Lindfield Unprofessional TalkBass Contributor Gold Supporting Member

I think they're pretty ordinary actually and I really hate that elongated upper horn! The Streamer is more of a "classic" design, but copied from Spector anyway!

I get really annoyed with every shop in the UK being full of Warwicks and nothing else - aversion therapy!! ;)

3. Deynn

Deynn Moderator Emeritus

Aug 9, 2000
    Iowa
    It appears that beauty IS...in the eye of the beholder....:)

4. Bruce Lindfield

Bruce Lindfield Unprofessional TalkBass Contributor Gold Supporting Member

Well yes of course it's all subjective, but Warwicks are basically copies of Spectors and the original is more beautiful in my opinion:

[​IMG]

There are some really special basses out there and in comparison, Warwicks just seem very ordinary. Like Warrior basses and Fodera, just to take two examples where the basses are more like works of art than instruments; or Ken Smith basses like this :

[​IMG]

I could go on... there are so many beatiful basses!

5. embellisher

embellisher Holy Ghost filled Bass Player Staff Member Supporting Member

Yes, beauty IS in the eye of the bolder.

Personally, I find this much more beautiful than that Warwick:
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Zon Sonus Custom in burled redwood over ash! And my next bass!:D

Of course, as Bruce pointed out, there are the real beauties like Warriors with custom inlay work, Ken Smiths, Alembics, etc.

But I think that my Pedulla and my Ibanez 506 are prettier than that Warwick, again, JMHO.

6. barroso

barroso

Aug 16, 2000
    Italia
    i really don' like bustom shop basses with ultra gorgeous limited inlay or finishes. i don't kike the zon, but i'd like a lot have and play one or two of them... my idea of beautiful bass is much less original than yours, i like pickguards and huge headstock, my favourite basses, speaking only about design and looks are still fender jazz, rickenbacker, gibson t-bird. am i so out of times?
    depeche mode...

7. rickbass

rickbass Supporting Member

The pictures Bruce posted are a real coincidence. When I was buying new last Dec. it was down to quilted maple Spector, K. Smith, and Carvin. I chose the Carvin and with the alder, koa, regular maple, and ebony it also has, it's like taking a walk through a forest. (I don't have a scanner).

Warwick has one called bois melange that doesn't appear at it's website but is in their catalog. It just might have to be my next one - alternating little diamonds of maple/ovangkol (I guess) that make up the entire top. I don't know how they do it. It wouldn't even have to have pups. It's simply a work of art.

I'm like you guys who posted here so far - if I wanted something monochromatic, I get ""luthite" (gay Lucite???)

[Edited by rickbass1 on 01-25-2001 at 03:22 PM]

8. embellisher

Only if his name was Bwuuth, I guess!:p

9. Jay

Jay

Oct 19, 2000
    Bidwell, OH
    embellisher-
    : :drool: :
    That has got to be one of the most beautiful basses I've ever seen. :D Or as they say down here, it's real purdy. :)

Jay

10. john turner

john turner You don't want to do that. Trust me. Staff Member Administrator

Mar 14, 2000
    atlanta ga
    should i do it?

:D

11. aww come on JT, like you even need to ask.
    how about a thread? its in another forum isn't it?

12. embellisher

Post the one that's under construction again!

:D

Hey, when are you getting the acoustic/electric one?

13. john turner

john turner You don't want to do that. Trust me. Staff Member Administrator

Mar 14, 2000
    atlanta ga
    there's no tellin :(. bill's been really swamped. the way it looks, from what he said at the namm show, i should get the fretless maple replacement neck for my bolt on first, pretty soon, and then the 8 string fretted, and then the hollow body. :sigh:

here are the ones under construction...

[​IMG]

and of course... :D

[​IMG]

14. mchildree

mchildree Supporting Member

Sep 4, 2000
    AL/GA
    All beauts, fellas! But have you ever noticed that sometimes an instrument is beautiful for things that are unseen?? Take for example the pristine 1983 '62 US Reissue Precision I just got: A real-live, uplayed-for-10yrs, Grandma-only-played-gospel-on-Sundays, NC mountain-folk deal. Sounds unbelievable and plays equally well, and not only does it look nice and vintage, it SMELLS vintage...like an old lady's boudouir! Price?? $350! Granted, it doesn't have the really nice workmanship and wood that my MTDs, Laklands, Modulus, Zons, etc have had but it's also beautiful...just in a different way.

15. yawnsie

yawnsie

Apr 11, 2000
    London
    I feel the same - give me a good old P-bass or Rick anyday! I personally think my USA P-Bass is a very beautiful creation, with it's natural finish and rosewood neck. Oooh, I'd better go and calm down! :D

16. Thumper

Thumper Supporting Member

Mar 22, 2000
    Layton, UT
    I do have boutique basses, but everytime I think about selling the '66 Jazz, I realize it's beauty has been equaled, but never surpassed. It remains my sole 4 string.

17. Munjibunga

Munjibunga Total Hyper-Elite Member Gold Supporting Member

May 6, 2000
    San Diego (when not at Groom Lake)
    Independent Contractor to Bass San Diego
    A reprise.

Pedulla ThunderBolt fretless 5, AAA flame, amber burst, TBT Bartolinis and, of course, gold hardware.

Lakland 55-94 Deluxe (almost limited) fretless, teal quilt no 'burst, ebony fretboard, NTMB Bartolinis and, of course, gold hardware.

[​IMG]

18. rickreyn

rickreyn

Jun 16, 2000
    Lutz, Florida
    I've owned a bunch of basses. None have been ogled as much as the Warwick. The natural wood finish compels people to stare and to touch. Many beautiful basses appear marblelized by the shiny finishes. That's like putting the wood behind glass. That's why the natural wood is so stunning. This is my opinion of course, and looks do not make a bass. Sound does.

19. notduane

notduane

Nov 24, 2000
    How `bout these Sycamore top bods at Warmoth? Put a French polish on one o' these
    and I'd get sea-sick. Be like one of those "magic eye" things in the Sunday funnies.

"Where's Waldo?" Hell, where's the Dramamine? [​IMG]

[​IMG][​IMG]

20. embellisher

:eek:

Dang, I got sick just looking at the picture of those!

I would hate to see one in person!

Hey, you could use one of those contrast zebra finishes like Sheldon did on that Dingwall Voodoo.

[​IMG]

Make the dark parts black and the light parts transparent crimson.

:eek:

Got anymore Dramamine?;)