Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Beautiful Double Necks!

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Dave Castelo, Feb 11, 2001.

1. Dave Castelo

Dave Castelo

Apr 19, 2000
    Mexico
    hiya!

Just post pics of beautiful double necks basses

the one below is (yeah you know) Billy Sheehan...and what I think is a gorgeous Double necked (yamaha?) Bass!
    [​IMG]

ok put your fave pictures...and if you happen to own one, please put a pics here.

BTW: is there a model like the one above for sale? know the list price? what model is it?

bye :D

2. i don't know if any one here has a double neck. :D
    here we go again.

3. basslax

basslax

Apr 20, 2000
    Washington, DC
    les doesnt know what hes getting himself into :p

4. Yvon

Yvon Supporting Member

Nov 2, 2000
    Montreal, Canada
    How long it will take before we see it here??
    ;)

5. Dave Castelo

Dave Castelo

Apr 19, 2000
    Mexico
    :confused: sorry i don´t hang around this forum so much

John Turner?

6. john turner

john turner You don't want to do that. Trust me. Staff Member Administrator

Mar 14, 2000
    atlanta ga
  7. Tsal

Tsal

Jan 28, 2000
    Finland, EU
    I just wonder how many different woods have been used on that Conklin? But sheesh is you want a two necks, just hang two basses on you :cool: Good side on this: you can drop the another if gravity hits your shoulders too hard :)

8. Oysterman

Oysterman

Mar 30, 2000
    Sweden
    Not yer average doubleneck construction, so I don't know if it fits in, but it sure looks good.

[​IMG]

And that JD is stunning, notduane. Mmmmm.... Jerzy...

9. Dave Castelo

Dave Castelo

Apr 19, 2000
    Mexico
    man that double neck rickenbacker rocks!
    too bad is retired (it says in your page...you don´t have it anymore?) cool color.

and the second one from notduane is beautiful! dig that fretted-fretless setup.

10. john turner

Mar 14, 2000
    atlanta ga
    only 4 strings on the bass - i only play at least 7's now. besides, all the songs that i played guitar on, i now just play the guitar parts on bass - another cool thing that 7 string basses are good for - who needs guitar? :D

[Edited by john turner on 02-11-2001 at 07:23 PM]

11. This one is insane. JT, yours is probably more whacky but this thing is pure beauty. And you had better get pure beauty(AND SOUND) at $27,000[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

12. john turner

Mar 14, 2000
    atlanta ga
    i think the knobs on the alembic are very gaudy.

i'll take mine, thank you very much :D

13. I like the look of a lot of Alembic stuff.. but some of their basses look a bit too overdone. Gaudy is a good word.

14. mark

mark

Apr 7, 2000
    Canada
    Not to merely flatter you JT but your double-neck is bar none the most beautiful instrument on that type I've ever seen. Most double-necked basses look, for lack of better phrasing, forced together- your's is so beautiful and naturaly flowing, a truely magnificant instrument.

15. john turner

Mar 14, 2000
    atlanta ga
    thanks, mark :D ! yeah, i drew it that way - i wanted it to have the same general flow and look to it like a single neck - i agree that most doublenecks look sorta forced.

here's some pics that i sent to bill conklin to use to build it.

http://lordonly.net/lojtbas32.htm

thanks again :D

16. Jay

Jay

Oct 19, 2000
    Bidwell, OH
    :) *Sniff sniff* JT, that brought a tear to my eye...

17. berklee46

berklee46 Supporting Member

Dec 19, 2000
    MA
    I remember seeing Rudy Sarzo playing a double-necked Stienberger back when he was with Whitesnake.
    I think it was a 4 string fretted and a 4 string fretless.

Anyone ever come across one of these? I'd be interested in checking one out, just for something a little different and small enough to play somewhat comfortably

18. Dave Castelo

Dave Castelo

Apr 19, 2000
    Mexico
    hi john!
    that´s something i´m doin now...playing some guitar riffs on bass... of course on a 4-string is limited (and hard)...i´m thinking of getting a 6-string just for that (without dropping the 4´s I love them)

19. john turner

Mar 14, 2000
    atlanta ga
    yeah, i started playing guitar parts back in my 4 string days, before i "upgraded" to 7 ;).

you know, i think it makes for better musicians, if they learn the parts and the playing methods of the other instruments that they play with.

i remember an excellent article by beaver felton in one of the guitar mags where he was talking about playing drum rudiments on bass, using a slap technique. very appropriate, imo.

i've also read articles by jeff berlin where he was encouraging bass players to learn sax solos to learn how to phrase solo passages.