Beautiful Fender CS Masterbuilt

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Rolling Thunder, Jan 31, 2017.

1. - John -

- John - Supporting Member

Jul 29, 2009
    Happy Valley, PA
    Super nice bass.

Mini rant here. I am so sick of Tundra Music's description and pricing on that thing. It is not master built and original retail was around $5,500.

2. timsmcm

timsmcm

May 23, 2011
    Never been much on the bass boat look.

3. willsellout

willsellout I apologize in advance. Supporting Member

Aug 13, 2002
    Fort Wayne, IN
    Yeah that's a custom shop, not a master built, right? BIG difference.

DiabolusInMusic and byoung93888 like this.
  4. - John -

- John - Supporting Member

Jul 29, 2009
    Happy Valley, PA

Correct. Fender's Custom Shop has two levels - Teambuilt and Masterbuilt. Teambuilt are more of an assembly line process. One person is responsible for sanding, one frets, one hardware, one electronics, etc. Masterbuilt is when one person builds the entire bass start to finish. Last I checked, the Masterbuilt fee alone was $2,000. That is on top of the base model price plus options.

The easiest way to tell the difference is by looking at the back of the headstock. A teambuilt bass has the standard Custom Shop Logo. A masterbuilt will have the signature of the builder. This may not be true for some of the "authentic" replicas but the sig should be somewhere on the bass.

Paul Waller Masterbuilt bass:

Fender-Masterbuilt-55-P-Bass-17__09794.1392065027.1280.1280.jpg

Custom Shop Adam Clayton Bass:

vldsd70kqqslky7zjbk4.jpg

DiabolusInMusic and byoung93888 like this.
  5. garciawork

garciawork

Mar 7, 2015
    Meridian, ID
    Not a fan of gold, personally. I can appreciate how good it must look to someone who likes gold though!

Ace Of Bass likes this.
  6. cavemanbass

cavemanbass

Nov 5, 2010
    How does the perpetrator of some of the most simplistic, unimaginative, and forgettable bass parts ever, manage to have a bass named after him? Are there people out there who see him as a role model?

Lownote38 likes this.
  7. Stranger Danger

Stranger Danger Feel Like A Stranger Supporting Member

Jan 3, 2010
    Texas
    He's got at least 4 signature basses that I know about. I'm not a fan but he's famous I guess.

8. Hi,
    I have that bass and it has nothing to do with Adam Clayton. I prefer a Jazz bass for the body shape and neck in my hands, but I prefer the sound of a P except, I'm not comfortable with the width of the P neck. That one has a J neck plus, the pickups are amazing. And I agree with BIGEJ2, Tundra is playing with the words to attract more money.

BIGEJ2, GregC and byoung93888 like this.
  9. Bassworship1

Bassworship1 Inactive

Jun 20, 2013
    Jackson
    IMO it would take someone with more money than common since to give that much for that bass.

10. mmbongo

mmbongo I have too many basses. Supporting Member

It boggles the mind to think that you can buy TWO Wal or Fodera basses for the price one one basic old plain Fender P.

Dean N and campbems like this.
  11. The street price was 4200$ when I bought it in 2012.

byoung93888 likes this.
  12. Nev375

Nev375

Nov 2, 2010
    Missouri
    I see him as a role model. Of course Im familiar with the entire U2 catalog and I suspect you may not be. I assuming you are talking about their more popular songs containing simplistic and unimaginative lines. I would call them lines that serve the song. I don't really care for this bass model though.

13. Stranger Danger

Stranger Danger Feel Like A Stranger Supporting Member

Jan 3, 2010
    Texas
    I'm not sure what you think I meant because your statement doesn't seem to relate to my post in any way.

14. Yawn

15. Because two of his band-mates are on Fender's Board of Directors...

Glazenn likes this.
  16. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

May 18, 2022