1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Beautiful J bod at Warmoth!

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Muddslide, Sep 9, 2008.

1. Muddslide

Muddslide

Feb 23, 2007
    Mobile, Alabama
  2. That doesn't look like figured wood - Warmoth usually tells you the top figuring if it has it. This one looks like it's all a paint job.

3. Muddslide

Muddslide

Feb 23, 2007
    Mobile, Alabama
    Yeah. looking at is again I see that. I saw it for a second before I posted it here and at a glance I thought it was quilty-burl grain with a trans gray finish or something.

But I'm pretty sure you're right. Looks more like one of those "hammered metallic" finishes, which makes me like it even more.

4. silky smoove

silky smoove Supporting Member

May 19, 2004
    Seattle, WA
    Yep, that's a solid finish on alder. It's one of their custom finishes called "Crushed Steel." I think it's cool in the short term, but I have a hunch that I would get tired of it in the long-term... Hard to say based on a picture though. Warmoth's stuff usually impresses me more in person... Hence why I own two of their bodies :p

5. Muddslide

Muddslide

Feb 23, 2007
    Mobile, Alabama
    I see your point and, if I'm honest with myself, I'd probably get to feeling the same way over time.

The initial "oohs" and "aahs" tend to diminish over time.

Still, even if it's not for me in the long run, if I saw someone else rocking it, I'd think "Daaaang--that's sweet!"

Looking back on the scores of guitars and basses I've owned, I realize I have ended up getting tired of most colors. While I love CAR, LPB and golds, even sparkle jobs, I tend to like them more when they are other people's instruments.

I really think the finishes that would hold my interest over time are basically natural, burst, white (and off-white/cream) and black.

Although Antigua is one of my favorite finishes ever. I don't think I'd get sick of that...but heck, it's really a gray/white burst after all...

6. Well, different strokes for different folks. I have NEVER been able stand antigua, even when it first came out (70s maybe?). To me the reissue finish is a little better than the pukey original.

:)

7. steve21

steve21 Banned

Pretty cool, but front routed makes me :(

8. WoodyG3

WoodyG3

May 6, 2003
    Colorado, USA
    Sorry, but yuck. ;)

No big deal, most people think my orange Jazz bass is pretty yuck, too. :(

9. DaneB

DaneB

May 25, 2008
    Western Australia
    That does look awesome. Why is it front routed though?

10. danomite64

danomite64

Nov 16, 2004
    Tampa, Florida
    Crushed Steel? Isn't that the look Derrick Zoolander was working on?

Zoolander.

11. 80min700mb

80min700mb

Aug 4, 2008
    That with a white pearl pickguard, and a maple, with pearl inlays would be beautiful.

12. Jefenator

Jefenator Supporting Member

Aug 22, 2008
    Oregon
    You can always order yours rear routed. Front routing is the for the old-school look. (Not exactly what this particular paint scheme is about! :p)

For me, the crushed-steel novelty wore off before the JPEG finished loading (and I've got hi-speed) :D

If they could whip up a "Black Diamond Pearl" paint effect, now that I might go for!

13. selfblessed

selfblessed

Dec 29, 2006
    Phoenix, AZ
    I like it. Rose wood or maple neck?

14. selfblessed

selfblessed

Dec 29, 2006
    Phoenix, AZ
    Whats wrong with front mounts?

15. danomite64

danomite64

Nov 16, 2004
    Tampa, Florida
    Nothing's wrong with front mounts. Some people just like to manufacture reasons why their bass is better than yours.

16. DaneB

DaneB

May 25, 2008
    Western Australia
    Just seems that going to the trouble to get a finish like that, and chopping routes into it seems a bit silly. I have nothing against it, but for a finish like that, I'd want to show it all off :p