1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Beautiful Or Cheesy Bass Mods - Let's See 'Em

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by mrjim123, Oct 1, 2008.

1. mrjim123

mrjim123 Supporting Member

May 17, 2008
    Indy
    If you've made a bass modification that you're proud to show off, or one that you look back on and laugh - let's see it.

Here's my mod, which probably falls into the latter category. I made this crude thumbrest (you can see it above and near the bridge pickup) for my Gibson Ripper using very basic hand tools. Painted, glued and screwed - I love it! I learned to play bass with my thumb anchored on this ugly little piece of wood, God bless it. It's never failed me in 34 years.

2. kesslari

kesslari Groovin' with the Fusion Cats Staff Member Gold Supporting Member

Dec 21, 2007
    Santa Cruz Mtns, California
    Lark in the Morning Instructional Videos; Audix Microphones
    I recently put and ACG preamp in my Ibanez GWB1.
    For me, it was a real question of whether to mod that bass or not (it required drilling a new hole).
    I think it turned out nicely, and it sounds awesome. I'm totally glad I did it - really makes the sound of the instrument for me, and a big improvement over the stock Bart NTBT.
    [​IMG]

3. I made modifications to my Douglas 6 fretless adding pickup covers and jade knobs

web%20rect%20covers%20b.

4. envika

envika

Nov 27, 2007
    Bronx, NY
    is that douglas the one in your avatar? it's mad sweet

5. MatticusMania

MatticusMania LANA! HE REMEMBERS ME!

Sep 10, 2008
    Pomona, SoCal
    I put a fender P-stle pickup cover on my cheapy Ibanez bass for absolutely no other reason than I liked the way it looked. Its not even coering the pickups! haha, talk about a senseless mod!

6. Well, I put Bartolini 9J1's in my Squier FVM Fretless, then decided to put a 51' P-Bass bridge cover on, the bridge cover got in my way, so now it's a relic. Ha-Ha!!:rolleyes:
    100_2209.
    100_2224.

7. Yes it is, I did it in both rectangular covers and then got Wild!

8. mrjim123

May 17, 2008
    Indy
    bump

9. SurrenderMonkey

SurrenderMonkey

Aug 18, 2006
    Liverpool
    wizard pickups, east u-retro pre.

Attached Files:

10. mrjim123

May 17, 2008
    Indy
    I was hoping this would be a beautiful mod, but I've decided that it's more on the cheesy side and needs to be replaced.

It is a thumbrest, not a ramp! It is made of maple, stained with rosewood stain. I had planned to center it better, but ended up positioning it for playing comfort.

The next one will be T-shaped (for greater playing range across the top), and will not extend beyond the bottom of the pickups. I will also use a darker wood, something to more closely simulate the rosewood fretboard, or just paint it black.

11. Datsgor

Datsgor Supporting Member

Jul 29, 2000
    California
    I routed and installed this jazz pickup...although now i wish i had not...I use it mostly with the P only....gonna get Rio Grandes' I think..
    PICT0004-3.

This one I routed and installed the extra P years ago...maybe 88......great mod, i do love this configuration
    blackmaple.

well..that's a couple of em.....

12. mrjim123

May 17, 2008
    Indy
    How much more treble do you get with the extra pickup? How does the bass sound soloing the neck pickup?

13. Baird6869

Baird6869 RIP Gord Downey. A True Canadian Icon.

I "went nuts" and replaced my Indonesian Jazz pickups with MIA Fender Jazz pickups in my Squier VM fretless Jazz.

I am crazy!:p

14. GETTING CLOSE TO FINISHING THIS ONE!

Here is pic of the initial layout with components for last measurements and alignments. The body is ash which I distressed, and then veneered walnut burl over the top. Need to put final polish on it and install the ramp that I built out of red oak and walnut burl. my K logo will go on the ramp in fiddleback maple on the burl.

gothic%202.

15. hockey_head

hockey_head

Feb 25, 2008
    I don't have a photo but my first p-bass got a brass nut, a dimarzio pup and a badass II bridge installed the minute i got it home. It was a 74 i bought used in 1980. evrything was good. then, i put a dimarzio j by the bridge. they come in pairs tho, so i put the other one in by the bridge. everything is still cool, bass sounds nice got some versatility goin on!
    Next i put another dimarzio p pup just ahead othe original (towards the neck) this added some serious thump. I extended the control cavity to accomodate individual on/off switches and pots for all 4 pickups. every pup had a 250K pot and there was a 1meg master volume and a master tone with a Greco Tone Qube replacing the cap. the thing sounded SWEEEEEEET!!!!!! kinda looked too frankensteined.
    I stripped off the burst paint and applied nice transparent red finish and a sweet zebrawood laminate pickguard, matching knureled knobs. coolest bass ever.

I enjoyed this bass for about 5 more years and then one day i had this great idea to make the poor man's travis bean bass by sinking a 3/4 x 3 in block of aluminum into the back of the body where I attached the bridge, neck and all the hardware thinking this would make for killer sustain. Actually it SUCKED BIG TIME. I had great sustain before and just didn't realize it and just totally ruined what i thought was THE coolest P-bass ever.

16. Well, Except for the nut which is on order, It is finally finished (two months) (a lot of sanding) (A couple of do-overs)

gothic%201. gothic%202.

17. mrjim123

May 17, 2008
    Indy
    What was the bass originally? I love the control knobs.

18. I have no idea, the body was off ebay and it was painted black, with nomarkings as to what it came from. THe neck I got from a Luthier who could not remember where that came from, although it was new. I put in all new hardware and pickups, etc. See more knob options at www.gminet.com/gems

19. Datsgor--
    What do you like about the double P pickup set in the second one? How does the bridge P sound compared to a bridge J?
    :bassist:

20. Delta_Petra

Delta_Petra

Feb 26, 2008
    Portland, OR
    Updated pictures of my MIM Deluxe Jazz with p-bass knobs and homemade rail.

Future additions:
    SX Maple black blocked and bound neck
    Hipshot DeTuner

IMAGE_094.

IMAGE_095.

IMAGE_096.